DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With over 1000 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
As a Database Engineer on our Research Data Management team, you will play an integral role in managing various datasets used by Traders and Quantitative Researchers to analyze financial markets, determine trading opportunities, and establish trading strategies.
What you will do in this role:
- Help Govern/manage the data storage and data used for research and analysis by the various trading teams globally.
- Work closely with Traders and Researchers to determine appropriate data sources, and implement processes to onboard and manage new data sources for analysis to unlock future trading opportunities.
- Design and develop data solutions to help acquire, organize, manage, and control quality of data sets to address the needs of various DRW trading teams and strategies.
- Design and Develop data analysis tools to enable Portfolio Managers and Traders to optimize existing trading strategies and more easily formulate new trade ideas.
- Continually monitor data ingestion pipeline and data quality to ensure stability, reliability and quality of the data.
What you will need in this role:
- 5+ years of database, ETL and process monitoring experience working with financial markets data
- Prior experience developing data quality control processes to detect data gaps or inaccuracies
- Strong technical problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work in an agile, fast-paced environment, prioritize multiple tasks and projects, and efficiently handle the demands of a trading environment.
- Familiarity with various database designs and their tradeoffs (Relational, Columnar, NoSQL, etc.)
- Experience with SQL query construction and SQL optimization
- Python coding requiring a basic Python coding skills test
- Familiarity with a large scale data processing engine such as Presto, Spark, Dask or similar
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services or other cloud providers
Additional skills or experience which enhance consideration for this role:
- Python programming skills: Pandas, Jupyter Notebooks, Numpy, and SciPy
- Prior experience with RDMS techniques: stored procedures, table functions, partitioning or advanced SQL
- Prior experience with AWS services such as S3, Athena, CloudWatch, SageMaker
- Familiarity with compressed / optimized file formats for data storage such as Parquet and HDF5
- Prior experience working with R, Matlab, or Tableau
- Prior experience developing REST, GraphQL or OData services
- Prior experience with Java, Scala, C++, Rust, Go or a systems programming language.
For more information about DRW's processing activities and our use of job applicants' data, please view our Privacy Notice at https://drw.com/privacy-notice.
California residents, please review the California Privacy Notice for information about certain legal rights at https://drw.com/california-privacy-notice.