Data Engineer, Zoro Tools at Zoro
In the past six years, Zoro has grown from a group of 6 people working out of a 2,000 square foot building, offering fewer than 100,000 products to a group of 150+ working out of a 60,000+ square foot building, offering more than 1,800,000 unique products.
Imagine what you could help us achieve as a Data Engineer!
Zoro is seeking a Data Engineer. The Data Engineer develops and maintains data architecture for the company to enable knowledge worker productivity, improve customer experience and business decision making with accurate, timely, and consistent information. The role works with solution and cloud architects, business partners, and external service providers to ensure that new capabilities comply with the data architecture and meet the data needs of the company.
This position will sit in our downtown Chicago office (225 W Ohio St.)
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Creates the data architecture and data management strategy for the organization
- Ensures that data architecture and data management strategy creates a foundation for future investment in business intelligence and collaboration
- Collaborates with business, service, and solution architects to understand the implications of respective architectures on data architecture and maximize the value of data across the organization
- Maintains a holistic view of data assets by creating and maintaining blueprints that illustrate how data is stored, processed, and accessed
- Responsible for the development of logical data models and physical data base designs applied across multiple computing environments
- Provide oversight and direction for the design and development of the data warehouses'
- Lead the design and implementation of new business intelligence solutions. Design and implement ETL processes
- Monitor performance and advise any necessary infrastructure changes
- Ensure optimal end user performance by establishing and consistently executing overall system performance assessment processes and associated action plans
- Develop standards, process flows and tools that promote and facilitate the mapping of data sources, documenting interfaces and data movement across the enterprise.
- Define governance and best practices around meta-data to ensure an integrated definition of data for enterprise information, and to ensure the accuracy, validity, reusability, and consistent definitions for common reference data.
Skills & Responsibilities:
- Expert in data architecture development, data policy formation, data asset management, data modeling, and data taxonomy creation
- Must be able to draw insights from structured and unstructured information
- Competent in information systems design and information visualization techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to challenge and convince the various stakeholders involved in any project
- Working knowledge of usability design and data warehousing techniques
- Ability to perform business domain analysis and business process modeling
- Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles
- Proficient with cloud data warehouse technologies, such as AWS RedShift and/or Google BigQuery
- Experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL databases
- Good knowledge of data warehouse querying tools, such as SQL, AWS QuickSight and Google Data Studio
- Good knowledge of business intelligence tools, such as Jaspersoft and/or Tableau
- Ability to solve any ongoing data issues that arise throughout the data processing lifecycle
- Knowledge of various ETL techniques and frameworks, such as Matillion and/or Talend
- Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources
- Experience with integrating machine learning toolkits into data infrastructure
- Experience with Big Data technologies to support future growth
- Advanced Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving skills
- Solid experience in architecture, advanced reporting and dashboards
- Experience working with data warehouses is required
- Strong SQL skills and experience with performance tuning are required
- "Get it done" attitude
- Superior Communication and Business-Technical Interaction skills
- Good understanding of data modeling concepts and data relationships
To qualify, you must possess the following skills:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, management information systems, or a related discipline
- More than five years of experience in data architecture or minimum five to seven years of experience as data analyst, business intelligence analyst, or equivalent roles
- Proven experience with ETL tools
- Professional or educational experience in software development
- Excellent communication and data analysis skills
- Excellent knowledge of SQL, R, and Python for performing data transformation and analysis
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.