Data Engineer, Zoro at Zoro
Zoro.com is an eCommerce company that sells business supplies, equipment, and tools—but we’re much more than just a website. We’re a team of people who win and lose together (we prefer winning!). Since 2011, Zoro has been working hard to make it easy for our customers to purchase everything they need to make their businesses go. Zoro currently offers over 6 million products, fast and free shipping, no-hassle returns, and exceptional customer service. We’ve grown quickly in a short time, recently surpassing 400 team members and reaching annual revenue of over $500 million. Add to that our award-winning culture—we were named a Great Place to Work for 2019-20, among other accolades—and we think Zoro is a pretty amazing place to work and grow.
The Data Engineer will collaborate with various other IT groups, business partners and external service providers and play a key role in the design, development and operations of our new analytics platform, the “Zoro Data Platform (ZDP)”.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in Requirements Gathering: work with key business partner groups (e.g. Product Mgt) and other Data Engineering personnel to understand department-level data requirements for the ZDP
- Design Data Pipelines: work with other Data Engineering personnel on an overall design for flowing data from various internal and external sources into the ZDP
- Build Data Pipelines: leverage standard toolset and develop ETL/ELT code to move data from various internal and external sources into the ZDP
- Support Data Quality Program: work with Data QA Engineer to identify automated QA checks and associated monitoring & alerting to ensure ZDP maintains consistently high quality data
- Support Operations: triage alerts channeled to you and remediate as necessary
- Technical Documentation: leverage templates provided and create clear, simple and comprehensive documentation for your development
- Key contributor to defining, implementing and supporting:
- Data Services
- Data Dictionary
- Tool Standards
- Best Practices
- Data Lineage
- User Training
- Strong ELT/ ETL designer/developer
- Strong SQL
- Strong Python
- Structured & unstructured data expertise
- Cloud environment development & operations experience (e.g. AWS, GCP)
- Preference for candidates experienced with:
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and associated services; e.g. BigQuery, GCS, Cloud Composer, Dataproc, Dataflow, Dataprep, Cloud Pub/Sub, Metadata DB, Data Studio, Datalab, other
- Other important Zoro tools: Apache Airflow (scheduler), Bitbucket and git (version control), Stackdriver (ops monitoring), Opsgenie (alert notification), Docker
- Real-time data replication/streaming tools
- Data Modeling
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Strong team player
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Superior communication and business-technical interaction skills
- Positive, “get it done” attitude
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple activities with varying timelines
To qualify, you must possess the following skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or a related discipline
- 5+ years hands-on ETL/ELT design/development experience
- Key resource on team(s) that have delivered successful enterprise-level analytics platforms
We share a commitment to our Zoro values – Win & Lose Together (We prefer winning!), Take Ownership, We Are Transparent, and Aspire to be Customer-Obsessed. Everything we do at Zoro is centered around delighting our customers. It's a natural extension of our company culture and how we care for each other. We believe when we act in ways that are consistent with these values, we can solve any technical challenge that lies ahead of us. As a Zoro employee, you can expect to work with smart, energetic people, learn something every day, and be valued for your perspective.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.