Echo Global Logistics is a top provider of technology-enabled solutions and supply chain management. Our solutions simplify transportation management for our clients by handling the crucial tasks. From coast to coast, dock to dock, and across all major transportation modes, Echo connects businesses to the carriers who transport their goods quickly, securely, and cost-effectively.
Crain's Business recently ranked Echo as a Top 25 Tech Employer in Chicago. We've also been recognized as the top 3PL provider. We're seeking passionate, driven and imaginative minds to join our team and help carry out our mission of providing our clients with best in class service and technology!
Our Database Engineers contribute to the management and design of Echo's large-scaled database systems. While supporting the architectural vision of quality, scalability, function and performance.
Principal Accountability | Database Engineering
- Active member of data team, solving complex challenges and building working database solutions.
- Collaborate with team to develop database structures that fit into the overall architecture of the systems under development
- Exhibits sound, methodical engineering judgment, and effectively manage trade-offs among data volumes. (Number of users logical and physical distribution, response times, retention rules, security and domain controls etc.)
- Code, install, optimize, and debug database queries and store procedures using appropriate tools or editors.
- Perform code reviews, providing feedback in a timely manner.
- Promote collective code ownership so that everyone has visibility into the feature codebase
- Address technical debt
- Provide development expertise to team members through education and review
- Present technical ideas and concepts in business-friendly language
Principal Accountability | Database Operations
- Proactively monitor database trends and act to improve database systems and processes.
- Identify tactical risks and raises. Resolve issues effectively.
- Provide recommendations, analysis and evaluation of systems improvements, optimization, development and/or maintenance efforts including, but not limited to capacity planning.
- Develop ad-hoc scripts, including clean-up scripts as needed.
- Identify and correct performance bottlenecks related to SQL code.
- Contribute to selection and design of tools required for management of the database and transaction processing environments.
- Support and be accountable for timely production releases and adherence to release activities.
- Contributes to development of database maintenance plans and data retention strategy.
- 5+ years managing commercial-grade database systems leveraging the following:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- MS SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- adept at creating stored procedures, views, user-defined functions, table functions
- Object-Oriented programming techniques (.Net)
- Software Development Lifecycles
- Unit Test Techniques
- Debugging/Analytical Techniques
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent years of experience
Work environment/physical demands summary:
This job operates in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties. The noise level in the work environment is typical of that of an office with an open seating floor plan. The employee may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the workday. The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.