Data Engineer at SpotHero
SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking on-the-go or in advance, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
We're looking for a Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering squad within our Reporting, Insights, and Predictions league! This squad interacts with a number of data consumers such as Data Science, Marketing, Engineering and our Business Analyst team to provide data platform solutions that meet their day-to-day needs and long term vision. In this role, you will focus heavily on backend application development and designing pipelines, modeling data that is being piped, and ensuring the timeliness and quality of data. In addition to the above, you will be expected to instantiate, observe, and maintain infrastructure, both AWS managed and open source solutions.
Sound like you? Keep reading!
What you will get to do
- Work with our analytics, marketing and data science teams to understand our data processing needs.
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of our data platform solutions from the infrastructure layer up to the API.
- Model and architect our data in a way that will scale with the increasingly complex ways we’re analyzing it.
- Build robust pipelines that make sure data is where it needs to be, when it needs to be there.
- Build frameworks and tools to help our software engineers, data analysts, and data scientists design and build their own data pipelines in a self-service manner.
- Performance testing and engineering to ensure that our systems always scale to meet our needs.
- Be a key member of the team focused on pure hands-on contribution to the implementation and operation of our data platform.
What you bring
- You have a few years of hands-on experience as an Engineer, working with complex distributed polyglot systems using Java, Scala, Clojure, Python, Go and/or C++.
- You have strong SQL skills and data modeling experience.
- You can go up and down the stack from deep in the infrastructure layer all the way up to the client libraries.
- You might also have a deep understanding of object-oriented and/or functional programming patterns and paradigms.
- You've worked with multiple data platforms and tools, such as: S3, Redshift, Airflow, Spark, Presto, Hive.
- Demonstrated experience with small teams that move fast - you will be expected to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated experience measuring the impact of technical products across multiple domains through experimentation and statistical analysis.
- You enjoy working both independently and with cross-functional teams.
You might also have
- Kubernetes and/or Docker experience.
- Message driven or streaming architectures, such as those with Kafka, Spark, Flink.
- Postgres, MySql, or other RDBMS experience.
- AWS, GCP and/or Azure experience.
- Redshift, Presto, or other MPP database experience.
- Cassandra, Elastic, Redis and/or Couchbase experience.
- Airflow, Luigi, or other ETL scheduling tool experience.
- Open source contributions to a few major projects.
Don’t check all of the boxes? Please still apply! We'd love to meet you and hear how you can help SpotHero drive into the future.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – a truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Top notch benefits:
- Flexible, unlimited PTO policy and supportive work-life balance – we value and support every Hero on the team, and create space for life!
- Annual parking stipend (we help people park!)
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- Our award-winning culture has received recognition from Built In’s 2021 Moxie Awards, as a 2021 Best Places to Work in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Get to know our technology stacks
- Android: Kotlin and XML (standard for Android apps) using MVI architecture (still working on refactoring old views), our database layer is built in Realm. Bitrise for CI/CD. We also make heavy use of Dagger, RxJava, Espresso (testing). Network stack uses Retrofit.
- iOS Stack: Swift using MVC architecture, CoreData for Local Storage, XCUI for UI Testing, XCTest for Unit testing, SPM for Package Management, Fastlane for app automation and build scripts, Bitrise for CI/CD, and Sentry for crash reporting.
- Backend: Monolith using Django/Python/PostgreSQL. We are moving our Monolith to a Modular Monolith, using Domain Driven Design. When relevant we extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and Go. We also use Docker, deploy our apps via Kubernetes. We use Kafka for asynchronous-, and gRPC for synchronous service-to-service communication. Our Integrations are on a .Net CORE, moving to Kotlin.
- Frontend: Our Front End stack is React/Redux, Sass, Jest/React Testing Library/Cypress, and Webpack. We maintain a private npm repository with shareable UI components, utility functions, Babel/ESLint/Prettier configurations, and custom tasks
- Data: Our Monolith Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Redshift as our data warehouse and S3 as our data lake. The data lake is queried using Presto. We use Airflow and Spark for ETL, as well as do some stream processing (Kafka Streams and Spark at the moment). Our Model pipeline uses scikit-learn, pandas. Our analysts utilize Looker as our Business Intelligence tool. And we use Quicksight for Dashboard on our external Data Products.
- Dev Tools: AWS+Kubernetes for hosting. Terraform + Helm Charts for IaaS/Deployment. ConcourseCI for CI/CD. Prometheus/Alertmanager/VictorOps for team alerting. We’re starting to work on multi-region available services.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.