The Catch Company is the first and largest digitally native vertical brand in the fishing industry. We believe the unknown is best explored together and we’re creating a community of discoverers through our digital content, innovative products, e-commerce experience and with Mystery Tackle Box, our flagship monthly subscription service focused on fishing tackle. Through these offerings, we excite, challenge, and delight our customers, while helping them discover new products and techniques, save money and explore the outdoors together.
Our approach is built on 4 pillars:
1. Digital first
2. Brand matters (a lot)
3. Go vertical (we make many of the products we feature)
4. Data, data, data
We are entering an exciting period of growth and we are looking for exceptionally talented people to help bring our vision to life. In addition to being talented, our team members are honest, curious, take action and always seek to leave things better than they found them. If that sounds like you, we would love to meet you.
The data team at The Catch Company is looking to build a business analytics stack that enables smarter and faster business decisions, automated processes, and personalized customer experiences. The Data Engineer role will play a pivotal role in selecting, implementing, and optimizing platforms and technology that enable our high-reaching business goals. As the Data Engineer, you will lead the full life cycle development, implementation, production support, and performance of our data warehouse.
What you will do:
- Select and implement tools and platforms to enable implementation of statistically based machine learning models to predict user behavior
- Model, structure, and fit data to allow for the use of advanced statistical models, and clean, concise output to the business teams
- Implement new data connections to extract, transform, and load data from new sources into our data warehouse
- Work closely with software engineers to identify new opportunities for data collection, and build the processes to make that data available in our data warehouse
- Identify and build frameworks that allow for streamlined use of data outputs, to enable improved customer acquisition, improved retention, and improved personalization for our customers
- Collaborate with members of the product and engineering team to discuss, architect, and implement solutions
- Research and surface new ideas and approaches, whether new technologies, tools, framework, open-source code blocks, or process improvements for the team.
What will make you successful:
- Curiosity: Always seeking to understand “why”. Always looking to make things better.
- Optimism: The ability to bounce back quickly when something doesn’t work
- Passion: For data - staying abreast of current topics and trends in the data science and machine learning community
- Action: Quickly obtaining deep technical understanding of new domains.
- Picking out and solving the most important problems as part of a team.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to take projects from beginning-to-end
What makes this a special opportunity:
- In this role, you'll own building a cutting-edge Business Intelligence stack, with responsibility to select and implement the technology and platform required to create high-performance, scalable solutions.
- This is an opportunity to help build a critical function for a dynamic early-stage eCommerce startup with tons of momentum (ranked #435 on the 2017 Inc. 500 list of the fastest growing private companies)
- We place a premium on building a great culture made up of great people
- You will have the opportunity to work with a team of intelligent, inquisitive, and driven peers who are looking to push the boundaries of digital retail, providing the opportunity for to make a huge impact and grow intellectually with peers who will challenge you to constantly improve
- You will work with and learn from experienced leaders who have a track record of building successful companies
- We are based in Chicago’s West Loop, with easy access to all major public transportation systems
You must be eligible to work in the United States. Visa sponsorship is not available.
- Experience working in data engineering, data architecture, or another similar field
- Extensive experience using SQL
- Experience using the Git source control system to branch, merge, and create pull requests.
- Familiarity with data warehouses such as Redshift or Snowflake
- Familiarity with ETL tools, such as Stitch Data or FiveTran
- Familiarity with business intelligence tools and systems; bonus for experience with Looker
- Experience building end-use analysis and data visualizations a plus
- Experience in coding for the purpose of data analysis and data mining, particularly in languages such as Python / R is a plus
- Competitive Medical Dental and Vision insurance.
- Ability to work from home if there is a need.
- Flexible working hours.
- "Take what you need" vacation policy.