Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build and provide our hosted digital advice platform for Retirement plans, 401K’s, etc. (what some call robo-advice)
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
At Morningstar, helping investors is what brings us together and drives our work. We are looking for a Data Engineer with relational, SQL, no-SQL, ETL/ELT, sysops and general programming experience. Having a proven track record of modeling data, solving analytical problems, aggregating data, bring novel engineering solutions and helping the business move forward is a big bonus. You will have the opportunity to help build, move, transform and model customer behavior, existing models, warehouses and influence our transformation into the cloud. Overall, this role is designed to help us move forward. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Understanding the business and working with product managers, architects and dev to source, transform and build datasets into AWS data technology solutions
- Break down data silos and provide our business with a competitive advantage
- Bring focus and attention to the future of our platform in the cloud and open new data technology possibilities there
- Ensure that our data is secure and compliant to necessary compliance and governance standards
- Align with Morningstar overall data strategy and assist our overall firm success
- Work closely with the software engineering teams
- Help the business define its Data Recovery Point Objectives (DRPOs)
- Solve investors’ problems with technology and data
- Be passionate about quality, process, engineering, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others.
- Familiarity or desire to become proficient with data technology and operating in an AWS cloud environment
Additional Items to Stand Out from the Crowd:
- Excellent relational data skills
- Experience working with streaming data and solving near real time problems for customers
- Design indexes for existing applications, choosing when to add or remove indexes
- Advise others on efficient database designs (tables, datatypes, stored procedures, functions, etc.…)
- A driven curiosity about our data and a proactive nature to get things done
- Understanding of ETL best practices and data engineering
- Strong need to communicate clearly, consistently, and proactively, in person and in writing
- Focus on balancing internal and external customer desires with delivering results the right way, in the right timeframe
- 3+ years data engineering experience
- Expertise with RDBMS concepts including stored procedures, tables, views etc.
- Beginner to Midlevel experience with cloud (AWS) based software systems
- Some experience with performance tuning and query optimization
- Experience with Agile methodology and tools like JIRA.