We are looking for talented, passionate Data Engineer with the skill and desire to contribute to our team. In simplest terms, you'll be building the foundation upon which we grow our business.
If you have experience working to extract knowledge and actionable information from multiple data sources, then we would love to talk with you. If you are the type of person who comes to work every day expecting to learn, contribute, teach, and have fun, then we think you will fit right in.
About our Team
We aim to derive meaning from our data, enabling us to run our business better, and also equip our clients to do the same. We believe in agile software development (lowercase 'a') and use elements from Scrum and Lean as a base for how we manage our work. 'Inspect & Adapt' is more than just a catchphrase to us. Most of our development work is done in Python and we use Airflow for orchestration of our data pipelines. We pair as-needed, but not as a rule. We are willing to have every problem under the sun exactly once, in exchange for never having the same problem twice.
Core Responsibilities & Qualifications
- In this role, you will focus on the design, implementation, operation, and refactoring of data management systems to meet the Brads Deal's business needs. This includes designing how the data will be stored, consumed, and integrated into our systems.
- You will take business requirements, transform them into data models, and develop ETL processes to populate those models. We are a small (and growing) team so it's important that you enjoy working a project from end-to-end.
- You will identify, design, and implement internal improvements to how we process data. This could include automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, and re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability.
- You should have hands-on experience with a variety of the data warehousing concepts and practices, covering both technical development as well as ‘not-necessarily technical practices’ such as data governance. This list of experiences includes data manipulation, database partitioning, data structures, data management, and best engineering practices.
- You should have advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of database platforms.
- You have a successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- You have experience with JVM based languages (such as java, scala or clojure) and scripting languages (such as Python).
- In addition to developing and implementing ETL processes, you have experience dealing with performance and scaling issues.
- You have at least 3-7 years of end-to-end experience with data warehousing and BI systems. This includes data modeling, ETL architectures, OLAP, and Big Data tools (such as Hive).
- You have hands-on experience with AWS and the different data tools that are offered on that platform (Redshift, EMR, Kinesis, S3, etc).
Since 2001, Brad’s Deals has been giving shoppers the upper hand by making it quick and easy to find the best deals. We meticulously compare prices, vet merchants, and improve our web and mobile platforms, so users get an awesome experience every time. Partnering with over 2,500 top retailers including Target and Amazon, we’re able to reach more than 50 million consumers a year.
An entrepreneurial spirit guides everything we do, making it possible for each employee to make a big impact here--one reason why we’ve been named among Chicago’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For. Last year, Brad’s Deals also received Workforce Magazine’s Optimas Silver Award for our Women’s Tech Accelerator, which opens our office and resources to women-run businesses. Long story short: we think of a career here as a mutual investment. We're an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at work. Pay is competitive and full benefits are provided, including health, 401k, FSA, and a transportation pre-tax benefit. Learn more about perks here. We are conveniently located in Chicago's River North neighborhood blocks from the highway and several train stations.