Data Engineering Manager
DRIVIN is looking to expand our data team as we continue to grow our data platform. The candidate should have a strong background with Python and SQL and a passion for team building and leading. As the manager of the data engineering services delivery team, you will work with stakeholders in leadership, product, and technology to plan, build, test, and release data solutions utilizing our AWS enterprise data platform.
DRIVIN has a polyglot data model using many cutting-edge data platforms including AWS Redshift for Data Warehouse, Elastic Search for location-based searching, and Postgres for transactional data and product delivery. Our delivery framework is comprised of Python/Docker on ECS, Spark on EMR, and Jenkins for CI/CD.
This candidate should be a self-starter who is passionate about building strong and fun teams that delivery high quality supportable data service solutions for internal and external customers.
What you’ll do:
As Engineering Manager on our Data Engineering team, you’ll be responsible for leadership of a delivery team focused on the ingestion, persistence, and long-term sustainability of data pipelines supporting 2-4 product lines of business. We are looking for a highly motivated individual interested in leading development teams to build great products, foster a collaborative, fun culture and, evolve our department’s best practices.
If you’re great at what you do, love mentoring developers, enjoy working with communities of practice and product teams, apply for this job.
- Effectively manage a team of approximately 10 software engineers in all aspects of software development and career growth.
- Strong sense of ownership of team’s technical product deliverables.
- Perform HR-related, performance management and interpersonal communication duties.
- Collaborate with product management team and senior technical staff to deliver products and features.
- Work closely with our technical operations groups to identify areas of improvement for the site. Own coordinating issue resolution for production code related issues.
- Coach, guide, and mentor developers through direct conversation and engagement with their teams to raise the bar for excellence in our products.
- Celebrate team successes and address areas of concern in a timely and efficient manner.
- Review product and technical roadmaps to understand staffing and technical needs for the development team.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to interface effectively with all levels of management, which include business and technical teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of experience developing data pipelines and services using SQL, Python, Java, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience leading development teams and delivering technical solutions.
- Middleware development or data warehouse ETL development background highly encouraged.
We value these qualities, but they’re not required for this role:
- Open source contribution
- Strong understanding and/or experience with:
- AWS Redshift, Aurora, Postgres
- Python / Docker ETL framework on EC2
- CI/CD practices and frameworks such as Jenkins, AWS Terraform, and Artifactory.
- Big data technologies on cloud such as Spark and EMR.
- Java application development especially surrounding data services.
- Management and leadership training
- Coaching or mentoring strategies
- Personal and business goal setting
- Resource planning / interviewing / hiring