Data Next Gen - Strategist
The Group: Morningstar’s Research group provides independent analysis on individual securities, funds, markets, and portfolios. The Research group also provides data on hundreds of thousands of investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on millions of equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company.
The Role: This position is a vital part of our Data senior management team. In this role, you will collaborate with the global data leadership teams and key stakeholders to shape the next generation data organization and operations. As the Data Next Gen Strategist, you will be responsible for defining the vision and executing to that vision in partnership with technology, transformation, and global data leadership. The impact of your work will enable data teams to further become curators, connectors, and value creators with our data and methodologies.
- Shepherds the vision for data automation and realization of the future state. Envisions the future for data in Morningstar to keep pace with evolving investor needs and emerging technologies
- Creates an atmosphere of experimenting, where teams learn by doing, use failures as spring boards to idea generation, and actively debate those ideas to bubble up the best for implementation
- Supports data teams radically improve their processes and operations to provide specific, precise, personalized, and real-time answers to support investors
- Helps data teams identify new skills required as our processes evolve. Accelerate new skills development
- Enables different data management models to significantly reduce costs and increase speed 10x by adopting emerging technologies and new ways of working
- Actively seeks new sources Absorbs various best practices for consideration and experimentation
- Demonstrated ability to successfully produce high-quality, detail-oriented work product with a global team
- Curious, creative thinker with a collaborative approach to problem-solving
- Zealot who creates energy and excitement around Data's next generation vision
- Strong project management, communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Unifier who brings global stakeholders and team members with disparate viewpoints together
- Serial learner who is always exploring new ways of doing things and new ways of applying technologies.
- Familiarity with and interest in investment data and methodologies and how investors use them
- Interest in and awareness of the competitive landscape in equity and fund data
- Familiarity with data acquisition workflows and best practices
- Knowledge of and/or curiosity to learn about latest tools and techniques in data producing
- Leverage light and fast approach to experiment and validate new ideas and explore direction quickly
- Minimum of 8 years experience
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree or CFA a plus.
- Certifications in project management highly desirable.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.