Data Research Analyst at Morningstar
The Group: The Products group is the home of manufacturing and innovation at Morningstar. The individuals in this group transform our high-quality data, independent research, and technological expertise into well-designed products that delight our clients. The group’s product management, product development, and service teams collaborate to provide clients with relevant products and bundled solutions. The Commodities & Energy (C&E) team gathers and organizes market, trading, fundamental and meta data from several thousand third party feed sources and makes it available in a standardized form via program interfaces and front end tools. Morningstar Commodity Data uses patented technology and data management solutions to provide its customers with actionable information primarily in the energy, commodities, and financial sectors. Our clients are among the world's largest energy firms, utility companies, hedge funds, mutual funds, and banks.
The Role: We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-starter to join our Data Analytics team within of Morningstar’s Commodities and Energy Solutions. The ideal candidate will have a passion for data and analysis, improving the user experience, developing analytical tools and models and working with developers. The role will include work on descriptive analytics, but will be more focused on building predictive/prescriptive models that can be deployed into production. The successful candidate will be a key member of the data analytics team interact with key stakeholders, project managers, clients, developers, designers, and QA to implement systems for clients and drive products and new features to market. This position is located in our Chicago office.
- Support the development of plug and play models and/or packages that harness statistical analysis packages such as python or MATLAB to build custom analytics for use in forecasting, risk analysis, trade strategies or back testing.
- Support the development of models serving common needs of multiple clients
- Develop various forecasting and predictive models for the use of power and gas clients
- Closely collaborate with developers and system administrators to schedule and plan deployments
- Work closely with our Product Manager and support key initiatives driven by new products and tools being developed for clients.
- Master’s in Applied Mathematics, Commerce, Computer Science, or a related discipline strongly preferred
- At least 2 years’ experience in the commodities and energy space preferred.
- Skilled using data analytics packages such as Python, MATLAB, Visual Basic and Excel.
- Understanding of high performance ML algorithms (SVM’s, gradient boosted decision trees, deep neural networks, etc.) and with toolkits/frameworks from Python, preferably with cloud deployment experience
- Experience in building models that have been deployed to production (e.g. in marketing, demand forecasting, or supply chain)
- Experience using big data batch and streaming tools preferred (Spark, AWS tools, Hadoop)
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Self-starter with high level of intellectual curiosity