Data Researcher - Portfolio Analytics at Morningstar
The Group: Morningstar’s Research group provides independent analysis on individual securities, funds, markets, and portfolios. The Research group also provides data on hundreds of thousands of investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on millions of equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company.
The Role: The Portfolio Acquisition & Analytics team is seeking a content researcher to drive a variety of initiatives related to enhancing Morningstar’s offering of fixed income, equity, and multi-asset portfolio analytics. You will drive projects to improve upon our underlying reference data as well as the construction of new portfolio analytics. You will use your independent research and initiative to add significant value to strategic projects. You will learn the nuances of investment products, interacting with internal partners in Research, Solutions, and Products and external institutional clients. This position is based in Chicago.
- Actively participate in the identification, research, development, prototyping and implementation process around innovative investment analytics and methodologies
- Drive development and launch of new multi-asset holdings-based solutions.
- Provide a vital junction between Research, Data, Solutions, & Product teams to ensure successful implementation of complex projects.
- Leverage financial market and instrument knowledge to proactively engage senior product management professionals to further strategic objectives
- A bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated experience with fixed income, equity, or other investment instruments
- Detail-oriented self-starter with a shown ability to handle multiple projects in a flexible and fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with large data sets (SQL and Python skills desired)
- Investment portfolio-related experience is highly valued
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Creative thinker with an analytical approach to problem solving.
- CFA candidates and charter holders preferred.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application materials.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.