Data Science Lead
What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
About the Role
The Data Science Research and Development team is responsible for the data science algorithms and methods that sit at the core of Civis’s products. We research and develop data science software that solves problems like probabilistically resolving data records across siloed data sources, running natural experiments to measure the incremental causal impact of campaign ads, performing large-scale constrained resource allocations, and modeling thousands of interesting outcomes for Civis clients.
At Civis, our data scientists are responsible for integrating, scaling, and optimizing our team's data science within software products. They also contribute to our core research goals of developing new methodological approaches to the toughest statistical problems we encounter. We are looking for individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative, software engineering, and problem-solving skills. As a data scientist on our Chicago-based Research and Development team, you will work on cross-functional product teams to develop new data science solutions, make our existing methods better and more general, work with our users to identify new ways data science can help them solve problems, and maintain an extremely high standard of innovative data science work.
We’re looking for a senior candidate to lead the data science roadmap for one of our product teams, as well as managing a team of data scientists. Our ideal candidate has professional data science management experience or significant professional experience, and an interest in people management. We value creativity, an ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, on-the-job excellence, and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, operations research, computer science, economics, physics, or other quantitative field
- 2+ years experience in professional data science or data-intensive software engineering
- Experience with using machine learning or statistics in real-world applications
- Experience with software engineering best practices
- Proficiency with database querying languages such as SQL
- Proficiency with Python or R
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in statistics, operations research, computer science, economics, physics, or other quantitative field
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with engineers, product managers, designers, and other non-data-science stakeholders
- Familiarity with Agile software engineering best practices
- Familiarity with user-centric design, and a deep motivation to build products that solve real problems for their users
- Experience managing data scientists, or an interest in managing data scientists in the future
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.