We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a principled quantitative framework. We are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of modern statistical machine learning methods to problems in the insurance industry.
The Telematics team is looking for a Data Science Manager to lead and grow a team of data scientists and data analysts. Working with this team, you will have the unique opportunity to be adaptive and flexible, giving opportunistic support to Root's strategic initiatives. You’ll work on projects ranging from new market support and product development as well as aiding parts of the business that do not have a formalized data science team.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to identify & measure new opportunities through rigorous analysis, build frameworks & processes to ensure high quality & valuable data science work products, work with cross-functional stakeholders to gain alignment & ensure a path to deployment, and support the growth & development of their team. For a candidate with the right experience, we would consider hiring at a senior manager level.
What you’ll be doing.
- Mentoring and developing a team of data scientists
- Providing technical and thought leadership to members of the Telematics team
- Effectively communicating insights from complex analyses
- Identifying and prioritizing high-ROI work and ensuring a practical path to deployment
- Working cross-functionally with Data Science, Product, and Business Development to determine long-term, strategic investments needed for future company success
What we’re looking for.
- 3-5 years experience working in data science with a proven track record of excellence
- 2-3 years experience working in insurance with a keen awareness of insurance fundamentals
- Experience managing a multi-contributor team
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- A deep foundational understanding of statistical modeling and machine learning
- Strong programming skills with experience using modern packages in R and Python
- Some economics background is strongly preferred
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.