Data Scientist I (Marketing)
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 17+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 105,000 restaurants in 2,000 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, Eat24).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
The Marketing Data Science Team is looking for a team player to help build out the next generation customer acquisition and retention systems (i.e., keyword bidding and email marketing). We function very much like a startup, working quickly from raw data all the way up to designing and deploying AB tests. We directly communicate with our customers and have significant impact on overall company performance. The data scientist in this role will spend time learning the systems and the business and is expected to eventually work on his / her own marketing campaigns!
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- You will be a part of the data science team that collaborates with other stakeholders to develop models of customer behavior.
- You will work with business, creative, and engineering teams to build components of emails and paid search campaigns.
- You will design AB and implement AB tests to learn about our diners and drive revenue.
- You will be working on the entire “stack” from raw data to experimental analysis.
- You will monitor the systems for failures and address any that come up.
- You will analyze experimental results and apply what you learn to future experiments.
- You will forward report findings to all relevant stakeholders, including non-technical stakeholders.
- You will build out the necessary technical infrastructure to support your vision - recommendation systems, targeting algorithms, measurement infrastructure, etc.
- You will pursue relationships within and outside the company as necessary to maximize the quality of your product.
- You will be setting long term goals with clear deliverables and making action plans to realize them.
- You will be in charge of prioritizing and re-prioritizing your efforts based on team needs.
- You will be on the lookout for improving team processes and products.
- You will constantly train yourself and participate in team learning activities.
You Should Have
- Bachelor’s in computer science, applied math, electrical engineering, or a related field (Master’s Degree or PhD in Quantitative Field is highly preferred)
- 2+ years of direct experience in a data science role
- Hands-on software engineering skills: testing, code reviews, automation, scaling production systems. Our team pushes very hard to scale through automation. Advanced Python and Spark Skills are essential to perform your daily tasks.
- Hands-on experience developing, debugging, improving models in Python and Spark & the ability to execute in an Agile environment
- Strong data engineering skills - schema design and ability to build and monitor ETL processes
- Hands-on experience with the following platforms/tools - Spark, Redshift / Postgres, AWS, Linux, Hive / Presto, Git
- Machine learning - experience with metric design, categorical and numeric prediction models
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The algorithms we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business very deeply, and to be able to explain your approach to a wide variety of both technical and non-technical stakeholders and take input from them where appropriate.
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it.
Got These? Even Better:
- Paid search - a knowledge of SEM (Adwords, BingAds), APIs, and how to apply Machine Learning to it
- Marketing attribution model development
- Lifetime value modeling
- Data visualization - ability to present results clearly to technical and non-technical stakeholders
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- PTO. It’s true, we provide you a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here:DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.