We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a principled quantitative framework. We are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of modern statistical machine learning methods to problems in the insurance industry.
We're looking for a Data Scientist to work alongside our Growth Marketing team to optimize the performance of our marketing spend. In this role, you'll work closely with marketing channel managers to better understand the marginal and incremental effectiveness of spend by marketing channel, designing experiments to measure that effectiveness, and proposing changes in allocation of marketing investment to improve Growth at Root.
Positions are available at different levels of seniority, based on past experience.
- Design experiments to measure the effectiveness of marketing campaigns and apply rigorous analysis to the results of those experiments
- Work with channel managers to implement and monitor results of experiments
- Based on findings, work with VP of Growth to recommend changes in marketing channel mix and monitor the impact of those changes
- Communicate results of complex analysis clearly and concisely to non-technical audiences
- Take end-to-end ownership of problem domains and continuously improve upon solutions
- 5+ years of applying advanced quantitative techniques to problems in industry
- Demonstrated experience building, validating, and applying statistical machine learning methods to real world problems
- Strong demonstrable knowledge of topics such as statistical inference, numerical linear algebra, machine learning, and numerical optimization
- Strong programming skills with experience using modern packages in R and Python, as well as proficiency using SQL
- Experience applying quantitative and statistical approaches to improving marketing or sales, preferred
- Experience within insurance or financial services industry, with knowledge of drivers of profitability in those industries, preferred
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us