Data Scientist, Optimization
About the Company
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of best-in-class data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
About the Role
The Data Science Research and Development team is responsible for developing the fundamental data science methods, techniques, and best practices that power our company’s mission. We work on projects like predicting national-level consumer behavior, measuring the incremental causal impact of campaign ads, running large-scale constrained resource allocations, and building generalizable predictive and prescriptive analytics software. Our applied data scientists then use the tools we build for diverse projects ranging from finding American citizens without health insurance to optimizing millions of dollars of media spending. As a data scientist on our Chicago-based Research and Development team, you will collaborate on modeling strategy, research design, and software engineering with data scientists on the cutting edge of the field.
We’re looking for a data scientist to work on the Media Attribution and Optimization arm of our Data Science Research and Development team. We are particularly interested in individuals with a background in optimization and marketing (media mix modeling and multi-touch attribution). Whether you’re still in the early stages of your career and looking for new professional growth opportunities or you’re looking to apply your considerable domain expertise, you can make a significant contribution to our product and consulting offerings.
We look for exceptionally talented individuals who are passionate about solving the world’s toughest problems with data. We value creativity, an ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, on-the-job excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, operations research, computer science, economics, physics, or other quantitative field
- Experience working in applied statistics, machine learning, or scientific analysis
- Experience solving problems with code
- Proficiency with Python or R
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in statistics, operations research, computer science, economics, physics, or other quantitative field
- 2 years professional or academic data science, statistics, or machine learning experience
- Experience with software engineering best practices
- Familiarity with database querying languages such as SQL
- We are particularly interested in candidates with the following areas of expertise:
- Experience with formulating and solving problems in an optimization framework
- Familiarity with standard types of optimization problems (e.g., linear programming, convex optimization, integer programming)
- Familiarity with experimental design and causal inference
- Familiarity with big data technologies such as Spark