Data Scientist - POS Data at SPINS LLC
Who we are.
For 20 years, our mission has been to increase the presence and accessibility of natural and organic products to encourage healthier and more vibrant living. By leveraging SPINS’ industry-leading proprietary data and analytics, our technology enables deeper, more engaged relationships between Retailers, Brands and Consumers through our platform, web, and mobile products. At the core of our work lies a passion to create a culture of sustainable health & wellness.
By leveraging SPINS’ industry-leading proprietary data and analytics, our technology enables deeper, more engaged relationships between Retailers, Brands and Consumers through our platform, web, and mobile products.
- We eat collaboration and curiosity for breakfast
- We communicate quickly and succinctly
- We believe in roles instead of jobs
- We take initiative independently and hurdle challenges together
- We discuss, debate, decide and do with the same rapidity as we iterate our platform
- We are a talent ecosystem whose health is predicated on each individual’s ability to support every other individual’s success
WHO ARE YOU?
- A virtuous colleague who wills the good of their peers and company, and works together to create it
- An experienced data engineer with demonstrated success in designing & maintaining data warehouses in Google BigQuery or other “big data” technologies
- A technology enthusiast who appreciates and understands the infrastructure their code runs on
- A results-oriented thinker who works backwards from desired outcomes to best-practices
- A creative engineer who matches the complexity of a solution to the complexity of the problem
- A problem solver who can quickly understand and correct problems with data pipelines
- An obsessive perfectionist who knows when to put down the paintbrush and ship
WHAT WILL WE DO TOGETHER?
We will leverage python, Java, and/or SQL and orchestration tools like Airflow and Google DataFlow to deliver new insights from transaction level data sources to Retail and CPG companies that work with SPINS.
We will create and maintain robust, scalable data pipelines to power SPINS products centering around transaction-level data. You will be working in a “hands on,” high-visibility engineering role to ensure the reliability and integrity of our data for the full path between our retail partners and our products. You will work with other engineers and the SPINS lead architect to design and implement a canonical data model for transaction level data from our most important retail partners.
We will develop and drive the analytics efficiency of the organization by contributing to a codebase that can be leveraged in projects across the organization, and we will thrive on continuous improvement when value is determined by client results.
WHAT ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES?
- Develop and maintain tools that bridge disparate data sources across the organization to serve data models, dashboards, decision aids, and business case analysis with up-to-date and accurate information.
- Collaborate with our data scientists on engineering predictive features from our product intelligence database.
- Prototype, implement, and optimize data new pipelines and architectures that can transform our data to impactful insights.
- Create robust daily, weekly, or monthly automated processes to deliver impactful work.
- Create innovative and efficient techniques that better solve the problems we are working on
- Assess risks to proposed analytics solutions based on quality of existing data sources and actively develop QA procedures to mitigate those risks.
- Tailor our syndicated data to retail and CPG business needs in a robust and scalable way.
- Facilitate knowledge transfer across the business between Product Delivery and Commercial teams.
- Recommend and implement enhancements that standardize and streamline processes, assure data quality and reliability, and reduce processing time to meet client expectations.
- Have a professional quantitative background with an education that stresses analytical thinking and quantitative methods (STEM)
- Have several years of experience as a data engineer with demonstrated success in designing & maintaining data warehouses
- Have a strong knowledge of python & SQL in a data context (iterators, pandas, scikit-learn, etc.)
- Are passionate about innovating new ways to answer novel problems
- Are comfortable with being given the self-autonomy to work independently and experiment with new ideas and new ways to design and implement data science solutions to advance business goals
- Have confidence in being the expert on SPINS data capabilities and best practices based on independent synthesis of a broad range of data
- Familiarity with Docker and Google Cloud infrastructure is a plus
The SPINS Way
- Direct– We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined– We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate– We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative– We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.
If we haven’t convinced you to join us yet, this just might! Sure, we have a great benefit program but SPINS also offers its team members:
- Company subsidized commuter transit program
- Gym, bike storage and showers onsite
- Fresh and healthy snacks daily
- Vibrancy 360 Wellness Program: Free yoga and fitness classes, onsite massage, volunteer opportunities, client product demos, outings, and more.