Data Scientist, Pricing R&D at Root
We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a systematic, quantitative framework. We are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of modern statistical machine learning methods to problems in the insurance industry.
We're looking for a Data Scientist to help build and evaluate our pricing models to enhance our risk segmentation. Working alongside a combination of actuaries and data scientists, you'll leverage modern statistical techniques to build on our pricing capabilities and more accurately segment our customers. You'll also establish KPIs to explain model performance, communicating findings and trends to key stakeholders across the business.
What you'll be doing:
- Build and evaluate pricing models and risk segmentation plans
- Enhance evaluation pipelines to translate model results into KPIs
- Leverage internal and external data sources to engineer novel features to enhance risk segmentation
- Build data processing pipelines to quickly iterate on research ideas and put them into production
- Take end-to-end ownership of problem domains and continuously improving upon quantitative solutions
What we're looking for:
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline and/or 3+ years of applying advanced quantitative techniques to problems in industry. Actuarial pricing experience preferred.
- Strong demonstrable knowledge of topics such as bayesian statistics, machine learning, and numerical optimization.
- Exceptional communicator and storyteller.
- Strong programming skills with experience using modern packages in R and Python.
- Demonstrated experience building, validating, and applying statistical machine learning methods to real world problems.
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are. Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root. We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us