Data Scientist Senior Manager
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Data science incorporates techniques across many disciplines – including mathematics/statistics, computer programming, data engineering and ETL, software development, and high performance computing – with traditional business expertise with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. Individuals in this field should be fluent in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end analytics products. Arity Data Science and Analytics is responsible for aligning with and contributing to company-wide objectives by identifying new product opportunities and enhancing current capabilities.
Arity Data Scientists are responsible for working as members of a product team to build predictive models and develop new machine learning techniques that enable Arity, and its partners, to make better decisions to achieve its goals. This is a highly dynamic position that requires a high degree of flexibility, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to rapidly adapt to changing business needs, new technologies, and modeling/machine learning techniques.
This role is responsible for leading work that uses data to make decisions. This includes: conceptualizing business problems, searching for and integrating new data (both internal and external), exploring/cleaning the data, building machine learning/ predictive modeling algorithms, coding of tools that use models, realizing the value of our solutions by implementing in production and incorporating feedback to improve implemented products.
This role is responsible for the development of the data analytics strategy of Arity. The role is accountable for development of teams that maintain the tools developed by the Data Scientists. The role determines the optimal portfolio of projects to execute based on Arity product objectives and leads a team of data scientists to successfully execute and implement those projects. The role is responsible leading recruitment, selection, mentorship and development of data scientists.
Develops and builds alignment around machine learning/predictive modeling, optimization strategies
- Builds & evolves vision and strategy of using machine learning/predictive modeling, optimization and data
- Builds alignment for vision and strategy of using machine learning/predictive modeling, optimization and data with Product Management, Analytics and other business partners, fostering relationships and engaging resources across departments
- Leads efforts for continuous improvements with data, tools, methodology and processes
- Advances machine learning/predictive modeling, optimization development within the department
- Serves as subject matter expert and consultant on product related issues inside and outside the department
Develops, leads, and continually optimizes portfolio of projects to execute on product strategies
- Translates vision and strategies into roadmaps and projects
- Leads multiple, complex analytical and modeling projects with many team members
- Ensures projects are managed according to overall plan managing scope, mitigating risks and solving for project risks.
- Effectively understands the business problems, requirements, and context in communicating findings to ensure models are well understood and incorporated into business processes
- Determines optimal program organization and delivery approach, assists in managing budget, coordinating resources and oversees development of integrated project plans
Engages cross-functional leadership to influence Arity business
- Presents business cases with senior leadership and influences cross-functionally to take, implement and deliver on recommended actions
- Achieves results on initiatives that contribute to growth and profit goals
- Encourages risk taking and innovation
- Applies efforts to diverse and complex situations to determine solutions, alternatives or guidance
- Represents Arity on panels, in outside venues or forums
- Serves as a subject matter expert for machine learning/predictive modeling, and optimization and consults on complex issues with regulators, legal counsel, etc.
- Partner with outside business units in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions
Leads managers and builds and develops team dedicated to executing product strategies
- Leads managers who are responsible for work that needs to be performed and/or their direct reports
- Directs, supports and executes talent management developing bench strength for data science and analytics team
- Identifies skill gaps and devises training plans with managers to develop new talent in focus area
- Coaches, mentors and influences others to accomplish departmental goals
- Actively seeks to connect resources across departments to share expertise educating teams on initiatives, strategy and models
- Works to maintaining a friendly and collaborative work environment
- Prefers a Master’s in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, finance, or economics or an actuarial designation (ACAS/FCAS) with a bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field
- Extensive pricing, statistical, rating plan design, and insurance regulation knowledge, with working knowledge of personal lines underwriting and product offerings and company sales and marketing processes or comparable experience in other data science areas of expertise
- Extensive experience in leading teams and cross functional projects
- Proven ability to manage teams overseeing machine learning/predictive modeling, and optimization in software such as SAS, SPSS, Matlab, R, CART, Python, Java etc.
- Proven knowledge of advanced technique such as GLM, GAM, Machine Learning algorithms, decision tress, etc.
- Ability to train, develop, and teach more junior data scientists
- An advanced knowledge about business in general and seasoned, in-depth, multi-dimensional knowledge of industry and company economics
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex concepts
- Ability to lead teams in the development of models
- Ability to lead teams in the development machine learning/predictive modeling, and optimization
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise
- Ability to concentrate on a wide range of loosely defined complex situations, which require application of creativity and originality, where guidance and counsel may be unavailable
- Proven communication and influence skills taking varying audiences into consideration
Heads up: when you click “apply now” you’ll be directed to the Allstate careers site. You’re still looking at an Arity job, but because we were founded by Allstate, we share the same application system.