Data Scientist at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Despite our success, we believe we can do better, which is why we’ve assembled a world-class team from around the world in fields ranging from computer science and electrical engineering to economics and statistics. If you’re passionate about solving hard problems at big data scale, knowing that your contribution to Upwork is enabling massive economic value and creating social value globally, then please read on.
The ideal candidate for this role will have over 1-2 years of experience building machine learning solutions to tackle business challenges. You don’t have to have a degree from one of the world’s top schools, but you’ve already done a few big things in your career and can hang with some of the brightest data scientists in the world. One of your hallmarks is your ability to reconcile business needs with what the data is suggesting to come up with new ideas and approaches. In the process, you derive much of your joy at work knowing that your inventions and your job matters.
If you and the team you’re on are successful, you will change the company and the world.In this role, you will:
- Build machine learning models that will become core components driving our marketplace
- Dive deep into the data and share your insights across the business
- Collaborate with product, engineering, and analytics from around the world on key initiatives
- Deep knowledge of machine learning, information retrieval, recommender systems, natural language processing or related fields
- Solid programming skills that enable you to retrieve, analyze and process data, and build machine learning models from the ground up (e.g. SQL, Python, Scala, Java).
- Superior ability to analyze and interpret the results of product experiments
- Employment history preferably a recognizable consumer Internet company
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.