JELLYVISION NEEDS AN AMAZING DATA SCIENTIST
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams (except for the part where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world.
“THAT'S LOVELY,” YOU MAY BE THINKING, “BUT WHAT’S THE JOB?”
Jellyvision is solvent, growing, and has an incredible pipeline into 1300+ customers who are asking for more of the decision-making support that ALEX provides to their employees.
We are looking for a creative and innovative data scientist to drive and execute strategic initiatives that will inspire the future and improve the present of Jellyvison. As part of this team you will focus on various data science problems and closely work with the rest of the Data team, product, creative and leadership to drive valuable insights with Data Science.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Analytical Mind - You live and breathe value-driven analytics. It is one of your passions!
- Curiosity - You are genuinely curious about many industries, including Health Care
- Communication - You can explain what you’re doing like I’m five, or have five PhDs
- Grit - You know data is not perfect, and you don’t need it to be. You can make the best out of a situation, roll-up your sleeves and get to work
- Willingness to work with internal customers to develop analyses that help solve business problems and drive value
- Willingness to learn something new - a new programming language or data science technique
- Ability and willingness to do the Data Science: everything from scraping web APIs, heavy munging, thorough model validation testing and continuous feedback
- Have the ability to write sophisticated machine learning and data analysis code in R, Python, etc.
- Ability to write data analyses reports for internal and external use
- Ability to build frameworks to enable other Jelly people to gain knowledge and increase positive impact in the organization
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels of an organization and share complex insights at all levels of the organization
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a quantitative or relevant field
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the US.
Nice to Haves:
- 2+ years professional experience working in an analytics focused role
- NLP experience
- Have developed a data science model that is deployed in a production live setting
- Experience writing production code in one or more of: C++, C, Java, Scala, Spark, R or Python
- Experience with medical claims or healthcare insurance plans
- Have made substantial contributions to the data science industry
- Experience with some/all of the following technologies: git, mercurial, jenkins, travis, jira, asana, etc.
- Masters degree or PhD in a quantitative or relevant field
We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights you and your main accomplishments, whether you:
- Actively write relevant blog posts and/or articles
- Actively participate in relevant online communities
- Are recognized via professional or academic awards
- Have Contributed to influential Open Source Projects like sklearn, XGBoost, tidyverse, Tensorflow, pytorch, Kafka, Spark, Elasticsearch etc.
- Have created a high quality data science project available in a public forum like GitHub or Kaggle
- Published work in Data Science related journals or conferences such as ICML, NIPS, JML, KDD, and INFORMS
- Teaching data science to non-data scientists in an academic or professional setting
- A resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.