Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build and provide our hosted digital advice platform for Retirement plans, 401K’s, etc. (what some call robo-advisors)
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
At Morningstar, helping investors is what brings us together and drives our work. We are looking for Database Administrators and Data Engineers who specialize in relational data and SQL Server to join our team, grow with us, introduce us to new ideas and develop products that empower our users. You will have influence for ensuring process and quality adherence through peer reviews, best practices and reliability of systems. You will act as the software guardian, owning non-functional requirements, reliability, performance of our databases while addressing technical debt. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. These positions are based in our Chicago office.
- Responsible for planning and designing SQL Server specifications, understanding database definition, structure, and long-range requirements.
- Define, track, and maintain standard baselines and configuration sets of all managed and/or monitored database instances and servers and implement industry best practices with regards to the following:
- Resource allocation and monitoring
- Performance problem identification and resolution assistance
- Clustering, replication, log shipping, mirroring and Always On Availability Groups
- Data security and recovery
- Data and database health practices
- Patch management, and System capacity planning.
- Develop and maintain storage strategies, establishing system documentation and database recovery processing.
- Identify and initiate resolutions to user problems associated with database performance and database capacity, utilizing best practices to maximize up time and server utilization.
- Support web application development, with a focus on helping the team interact with the database in the most efficient and productive way possible
- Review and deploy the database components for new versions of web applications/products to test and production environments using release management practices.
- Partner with DBA team to provide support in non-business hours, bi-weekly on-call rotation for support
- Responsible for DR tests on regular basis
- Help with Data Center migration and migrating on premise db servers to public cloud
- Support open-source db platforms like mysql, postgres, Amazon Aurora, Redshift
- A bachelor`s degree in computer science or related field with a specialization in relational database management systems.
- 5 or more years of experience in database administration using SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2014 and 2016 technologies.
- Strong performance tuning skills in a very large database environment
- Ability to trace (using Profiler or Extended Events) and analyze results, then to recommend options for problem resolution
- Proficient with Transact-SQL (T-SQL)
- Experience with SQL Server DTS, SSIS and SSRS components
- Expertise with maintaining SQL servers using NetApp SAN and in Virtual environment
- Experience with database encryption and backup/recovery methodologies
- Experience in SQL Server High Availability technologies like Mirroring, Replication, Log Shipping and SQL Server 2012/2014/2016 Always On Availability Groups
- Experience with other db technologies like MySQL, Netezza, Postgres or mongo dB, Amazon Aurora, Redshift, Dynamo db is a plus.
- Experience with public cloud platforms like AWS, RDS, SQL Azure etc.
- Must have superior problem-solving skills with extremely high levels of initiative and assertiveness.
- Must have very strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to deal effectively with customers, peers and management.
- Must be able to organize work efficiently and work well under stress, changing priorities, and time constraints
- Familiar with compliance guidelines like SOC II, FINRA, is a plus.
- Familiar with ITIL practices like Change Management, Incident Management etc. is a plus.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.