Database Engineer II (MySQL/Cassandra)
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 19+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 115,000 restaurants in 2,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
GrubHub is looking for an experienced MySQL/Cassandra Database engineer for its Database Engineering team, responsible for MySQL and Cassandra databases. You will be working with a team of passionate and skilled database engineers responsible for installing, configuring, administering and maintaining MySQL and Cassandra databases. GrubHub OLTP database platforms are built primarily around AWS/on-premisesarchitecture. A few core database technologies are MySQL, SQL server and 550 node Cassandra cluster.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Develop, implement, and maintain MySQL/Cassandra database structures in Pre-prod and production environments utilizing current standards and procedures.
- Manage 550 node Cassandra cluster
- Database tuning for optimization and performance
- Monitoring production deployments for capacity issues, performance, and troubleshooting
- 24X7 on-call rotation support.
- Keep backups as current as possible and devise restoration techniques with minimal downtime.
- Keep run-books updated for smooth operations.
- Automate maintenance tasks using bash/python
You Should Have
- 3 years’ experience in a MySQL DBA role.
- 1-year experience in Cassandra
- 3 years’ experience with the design, creation, and maintenance of database engine and its structures.
- Experience using Python for database maintenance and interaction.
- Ansible experience is a plus
- Java experience is a plus
- AWS experience is a plus
- Ability to quickly learn new concepts and technologies and adapt to changing needs
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- PTO. It’s true, we provide you a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.