The Systems team builds and maintains the computers, networks, data storage, operating systems, and software that allow our trading strategies and research environment to run worldwide 24/7. We are looking for an experienced database engineer who enjoys being challenged, appreciates a flat reporting structure, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. This is an impactful role, where you’ll be tasked with designing, building, and maintaining HRT’s diverse database infrastructure, which is critical to our success and ability to conduct large scale research and trading across the world.
As our first dedicated database-focused hire, you’ll have the unique opportunity to set the direction for database infrastructure management at HRT and have a significant impact on a critical part of our existing and growing infrastructure. We’re looking for someone who is excited about taking ownership of improving the existing database infrastructure and designing the future of databases at HRT.
- Design, build, and maintain HRT’s database infrastructure across multiple database types and use cases, from globally distributed trading infrastructure to large-scale research.
- Install, configure, and scale databases and big data analytics solutions for large-scale research
- Investigate and improve performance of queries and supporting infrastructure (Debian and Windows)
- Build proofs of concept to test out new solutions
- Build out a team to improve database management company-wide
- A degree in computer science or a related technical field
- 3+ years of experience working in database management and infrastructure engineering
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art DB technologies and tradeoffs: distributed DBs, time-series DBs, relaxed consistency models, columnar storage
- Extensive experience with at least one of: MySQL, Postgres, Yugabyte, SQL Server, CockroachDB, Trino
- Solid scripting, performance troubleshooting, and networking knowledge
- Exceptional communication skills - this role will require cross-collaboration with various teams
- Basic knowledge of Python
Hudson River Trading (HRT) brings a scientific approach to trading financial products. We have built one of the world's most sophisticated computing environments for research and development. Our researchers are at the forefront of innovation in the world of algorithmic trading.
At HRT we come from all sorts of backgrounds: mathematics, computer science, statistics, physics, and engineering. We’re a community of self-starters who are motivated by the excitement of being at the cutting edge of automated trading. Our culture celebrates great ideas whether they come from HRT veterans or new hires. At HRT we’re friends and colleagues, whether we are sharing a meal, playing the latest board game, or writing elegant code. We embrace a culture of togetherness that extends far beyond the walls of our office.
Seem like something you might be interested in? Our goal is to find the best people and bring them together to do great work in a place where everyone is valued. HRT is proud of our diverse staff; we have offices all over the globe and benefit from our varied and unique perspectives. HRT is an equal opportunity employer; so whoever you are, we’d love to get to know you.