Database Engineer at PerkSpot
Join us to make a difference and deliver results across the organization and for our clients. There is plenty of room for growth and experience for the right, highly motivated person.
At PerkSpot, we work with America’s top employers to offer the best perks and discounts to millions of employees. These exclusive savings are a great recruitment and retention tool that allows their employees to take advantage of unique opportunities and feel great about their company. We help employees from over 800 companies like Spotify, Walgreens, McDonald's, and Lyft to save on everything from gym memberships and movie tickets to electronics, new cars, and travel.
Profitable and growing. Our company was founded in 2006 by good people with great vision, and we’re carrying on the work they started. As we continue, we’re proud of our leadership position in the industry, but we’re committed to doing more – developing better products, reaching more employers, and getting more employees engaged with our platform. In 2018, our company announced an additional investment of $50 million dollars from Susquehanna Growth Equity. This next stage of growth will focus on expanding our use of technology -- specifically machine learning and AI -- to consistently put the right perks in front of the right people, at the right time.
About the Role
PerkSpot is looking for a full-time take-charge Database Engineer who is ready to take the next step in their career to help manage our data infrastructure, including architecture of new data-heavy features, optimization of data storage and performance, and access control.
While data is not a new concept here at PerkSpot, we have a lot of room for improvement. With your expertise and focused attention, you will make data more accessible and digestible, helping us to make better informed decisions and understand the stories behind the data.
This role will initially report to the VP of Technology, but that may change as the PerkSpot organization continues to grow.
A successful candidate will have:
- 3+ years of experience
- Hands on experience in data modeling and database design
- An aptitude for optimizing the performance of new and existing queries.
- Ability to implement SQL data transfer methods via SSIS packaging
- Working knowledge of column indexes and their use in optimizing query performances
- Comprehensive knowledge of underlying architecture of Microsoft SQL Server
- Knowledge and significant experience designing, developing, debugging and deploying SQL Server stored procedures, triggers, T-SQL & SSIS packages
- Experience maintaining MS SQL Server 2016+ instances as well as AzureSQL.
- Ability to debug and solve complex problems
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- A passion for quality work with a teamwork mindset
A successful candidate will:
- Be self-directed, with a strong sense of ownership
- A results-oriented and dynamic individual with a hands-on mentality
- Hands on practical experience with Microsoft Analysis Services and data warehousing
Your First Month
- Meet the team. Culture is huge at PerkSpot. Take this time to meet the team and learn the ins and outs of the business, and gain a better understanding of all the stakeholders
- Familiarize yourself with the applications, systems, and tools.
- Transition all database management and access tasks.
- Develop an initial 90 day plan for immediate improvements in data performance, development of data-heavy applications, and processes for production data access.
- Learn how we get things done at PerkSpot -- raise the bar!
The Perks of Working at PerkSpot
We’re a big platform, but still a small team. That means we’re going to trust you with more responsibility than elsewhere, and invest in you more. You’re going to grow – a lot.
We’re a team of forty people working out of our office in Chicago’s River North neighborhood. We dress how we like, boast an open time-off policy, stock a good beer selection, and we’re pretty obsessive about our coffee. Most of all, we welcome good people with lots of energy and enthusiasm.
PerkSpot offers the full suite of benefits you’d expect from a profitable, established company, including health and dental insurance, 401(k), pre-tax transit benefits, and fully-funded disability coverage. We have in-office bike storage and a shower on-site.
We hold weekly all-company get-togethers on Fridays where we learn from what went wrong and celebrate what went right. Every week at PerkSpot, we aim a little higher and get a little bit better than the previous week.
All applications will be kept strictly confidential. Please submit a resume AND cover letter (a cover letter is very important to us) telling us how you stack up to the qualifications, plus any other information you feel would be relevant to PerkSpot. Don’t be afraid to show your spark and personality!
All positions require a full background screening.