Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE) at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What is a Database Reliability Engineer?
Clearcover is looking for a Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE) to help manage, operate and scale Clearcover’s Data Platform. The DBRE will be responsible for keeping the data layer systems that support user-facing services running smoothly 24/7/365.
DBRE's are a blend of database administrators, system admins, and software engineers that apply best practice engineering principles, operational discipline and mature automation, specializing in databases (PostgreSQL in particular). In that capacity, DBRE's are peers to SRE's and bring data layer expertise to the SRE, infrastructure, and engineering teams.
What will you do?
- Provide Databases as a Service using AWS RDS (PostgreSQL) to our product engineering teams.
- Work on the data layer reliability, security, and performance for Clearcover’s technology platform.
- Work on observability of relevant database metrics and make sure we reach our SLO targets.
- Work with peer SREs to migrate and to roll out changes to our production environment.
- Mitigate data layer-related production incidents and properly document them.
- Support and debug database production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Participate in on-call support rotation with the team.
- Provide data layer expertise to engineering teams, including guidance and best practices on how to design and refactor database schemas.
- Work on automation of database infrastructure and help engineering succeed by providing self-service tools.
- Implement proactive monitoring and alerting to detect issues before they become an impactful.
- Collaborate closely with engineering and product teams in an agile engineering environment.
What do you need?
- Expertise in managing datastores in a cloud environment (AWS).
- Experience with infrastructure as code tooling (Terraform).
- Ability to code in a modern high-level programming language (Python, Ruby, Go, Typescript, etc).
- Deep domain knowledge of PostgreSQL.
- Strong passion to understand, learn, and evaluate new technologies.
- Must have exceptional analytical skills and strong communication skills (both written and verbal).
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited PTO, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover the vast majority of your premiums to make the cost of you and your family's coverage affordable. Plus, we contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social (for once we’re back in the office)
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.