Director of Analytics at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $2 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say. “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for an analytics manager to lead the establishment and build out of a formal analytics practice focused on business intelligence here at M1. You’ll be responsible for setting the strategy for, and building on, M1’s current business intelligence analytics efforts. You’ll manage a small team of analysts embedded in marketing, product, and operations, responsible for data collection, enhancement, modeling, and analysis; and you’ll oversee the business intelligence tools used in these analyses.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of impactful analytical work, an ability to provide insight that can be strategically driven through to the relevant business functions, and a collaborative, team-building management style. The Analytics Manager will work closely with leaders across marketing, product, engineering, and finance to support and implement high-quality, data-driven decisions. They will ensure data accuracy and consistent reporting by designing and creating optimal processes and procedures for analytics employees to follow. They will use advanced data modeling, predictive modeling and analytical techniques to interpret key findings from company data and leverage these insights into initiatives that will support business outcomes. The right person for the job will apply their exhaustive knowledge of data analysis to solving real-world problems faced by our company and find opportunities for improvement across multiple projects, teams and business units.
What You'll Do
- Lead cross-functional projects using advanced data modeling and analysis techniques to discover insights that will guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities.
- Build, develop and maintain data models, reporting systems, data automation systems, dashboards and performance metrics support that support key business decisions.
- Design and build technical processes to address complex business issues.
- Oversee the design and delivery of reports and insights that analyze business functions and key operations and performance metrics.
- Recruit, train, develop and supervise analyst-level employees.
- Work with the data engineering team to optimize processes for data intake, validation, and mining as well as modeling, visualization and communication deliverables.
- Examine, interpret and report results of analytical initiatives to stakeholders in leadership, technology, sales and marketing, operations and product teams.
- Oversee the data/report requests process: tracking requests submitted, prioritization, approval, etc.
- Develop and implement quality controls and departmental standards to ensure quality standards, organizational expectations, and regulatory requirements.
- Anticipate future demands of initiatives related to people, technology, budget and business within your department and design/implement solutions to meet these needs.
- Continue iterating on analytic framework as products, data, and complexity all grow with the business
- Organize and drive successful completion of data insight initiatives through effective management of analyst and data employees and effective collaboration with stakeholders.
- Degree in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or Statistics, or equivalent professional experience.
- Working knowledge of data mining principles: predictive analytics, mapping, collecting data from multiple data systems and cloud-based data sources.
- Experience working with various kinds of data (behavioral, demographic) at different levels (user, account, event, security) from different sources (first-party, third-party).
- Experience with sourcing data from third parties and onboarding vendors as needed.
- Understanding of and experience using analytical concepts and statistical techniques: hypothesis development, designing tests/experiments, analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and developing actionable recommendations for business units.
- Experience and knowledge of statistical modeling techniques: GLM multiple regression, logistic regression, log-linear regression, variable selection, etc.
- Experience working with and creating databases and dashboards using all relevant data to inform decisions.
- Experience using analytics techniques to contribute to company growth efforts, increasing revenue and other key business outcomes.
- Strong problem solving, quantitative and analytical abilities.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and delegation skills.
- Willingness to dig in and do some of the work yourself
- We’re looking for someone with at least 5 years of experience in a position monitoring, managing, manipulating and drawing insights from data, and someone with at least 3 years of experience leading a team. The right candidate will also be proficient and experienced with the following tools/programs:
- Strong programming skills with querying languages: SQL, BigQuery, etc.
- Experience with big data tools: Redshift, Presto, Spark, S3, etc.
- Familiarity with applied learning projects: clustering, recommendation, prediction, etc.
- Experience with data visualization tools: Tableau, Power BI, Raw, chart.js, etc.
- Experience with a modern scientific programming stack (Python preferred over R, SAS, etc.)
- Experience with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits to our actions
- Team oriented: In working together, we maintain low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud if our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according tour values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym