About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us?
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
The Impact You Will Make
- As a part of Retention leadership, you will lead the team that develops models and triggered programs that deliver relevant offers to our hungry diners. The systems you’ll build will affect grubhub.com and offsite experience (email, push notifications, display and social ads).
- We believe in personalization - finding the most relevant offer for each of our diners, across a diverse set of options. This means solving complex, large-scale problems using Spark and Python. You and your team will build models that will meaningfully affect our marketing spend, and impact millions of our customers.
- Retention area is just getting started: your work will be able to move the needle. You will present your team’s work to the CEO of Grubhub - and he will expect your team to meaningfully move the bottom line for the entire company!
- Explore diverse data sets of large volumes to develop models which help drive complex, real time data driven products with real world impact.
- Using sound scientific principles in analysis, model training, testing and validation of the data models to create precise, high performing and reliable models to be used in our marketing.
- Using software principles to write functional, scalable, tested and clean deployable code, during the implementation stage of algorithms.
- Lead and mentor the Agile team of data scientists. Help solve challenging problems with problem formulation, prioritization, exploration and implementation.
- Collaborate and work closely with Engineering, Product and Design to create high quality reliable, consumer-facing products.
What You Bring to the Table
- 10+ years of experience using the below skills
- 2+ years of people management experience. Working knowledge of running an agile prioritization process and daily standups.
- Masters degree in quantitative discipline, or a Bachelor's degree with significant work experience.
- Strong Machine Learning and Statistics track record and expertise on Regression Methods, Classification Methods, Clustering, Neural Networks, Unsupervised Learning Methods, Etc.
- Experience working on Anomaly Detection, User Rating Calculation,Time Series Forecasting, Etc.
- In depth understanding of Experiment design - control vs variations, factorial experiment design, multivariate experiments, simple random sampling vs. stratified, etc.
- Software engineering - Our team pushes very hard to scale through automation. Advanced Python and Spark Skills are essential to perform your daily tasks.
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The algorithms we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business very deeply, and to be able to explain your approach to a wide variety of both technical and non-technical stakeholders and take input from them where appropriate.
- SQL experience - Experience in transactional and data warehouse environments using MySQL, Hive, or other database systems. Must deeply understand joins, subqueries, window functions, etc.
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it.
Got These? Even Better:
- Working knowledge of Scala or interest to pick up new programming languages.
- Good understanding of data structures and computational complexity.
- You know how to sell an idea to a group of people.
- Predictive Analytics- Clustering, regression, neural networks, etc.
- Blog/portfolio/Github links
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.