Director of Data Science
Working at Trunk ClubAbout the roleWhat you'll do
When you join Trunk Club, you join the Nordstrom family. Our fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment is paired with the strong history and experience of a retail legacy. We have access to some of the greatest minds in retail and technology and are constantly creating innovative strategies to develop the ultimate apparel solutions. We welcome your adaptability, your curiosity, and your passion to contribute to our unparalleled shopping experience!
As the Director of Data Science you will be instrumental in helping Trunk Club achieve its mission to get the right clothes, to the right person, at the right time. In order to be successful you will consider yourself to be an entrepreneur, champion of data science, and storyteller. Data Science helps drive Trunk Club and you will lead this team. Our data scientists dive into readily accessible data and tools thanks to our diligent data engineering team. Our stack provides data scientists the capability to easily turn an algorithm into an API, and run follow-up A/B tests using a range of multivariate models at your disposal. Every team relies not only on the data insights collected, but more importantly in the clever ways that this team presents it at every step in our experience.
- Collaborating, influencing, and interacting with our executive team on a vision and roadmap for data science at Trunk Club
- Working with innovation teams and the business at large: envisioning, integrating and pitching how data science betters our customer and sales experiences
- Reporting on the performance of algorithms and the business value they have delivered
- Helping data scientists develop and test algorithms to solve a broad spectrum of product, fit, and customer identification challenges. You'll be helping them pick the best tool for the job and design experiments to validate their analysis
- Mentoring junior data scientists in understanding the basis for various statistical approaches, explore models from different aspects, and sell their findings back to our product teams
- Partnering with our engineering leaders to ensure our recommenders can be consumed and used in a scalable and extensible way
- Recruiting data scientists to join our existing team and building Trunk Club’s brand within the data science community
- Feel comfortable representing data science to all areas of the business, from merchandising to product design to sales.
- Have a deep understanding of modern recommender systems, algorithms, and techniques such as factorization machines, logistic regression, bayesian hierarchical modeling, and collaborative filtering.
- You enjoy teaching others about data science and helping your team understand when and how to use common algorithms and methodologies.
- Can lead projects through the definitional stages, working to ensure that we’re working to solve the right problem and have clearly articulated problem statements and goals identified.
- Seek accountability for the ultimate execution of the development of our data science platform.
- Have a working knowledge of common data structures, tools (like Storm, Kafka, and Neo4J) and languages (like Python, R, or Java).
- Like to get your hands dirty: prototyping, modeling and hacking.
- Minimum masters degree in a related field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Operations Research, etc)
- Strong technical and data science expertise (been a hands on data scientist at some point during career), including the ability to analyze business problems effectively and work cross-functionally to prioritize and ultimately drive development
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage trade-offs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching business priorities
- Strong communication skills and the ability to explain complex analysis and algorithms to an unfamiliar audience
- Track record of success in fast-paced organizations with matrixed reporting environments, using elbow grease to drive solutions to tie together technology, marketing, finance, operations, sales operations, legal, and sales
- With open minds. We are committed to building a diverse team of people with unique perspectives. This encourages a healthy and inclusive environment that builds a more sustainable, successful company.
- With others. We collaborate cross-functionally to solve problems and deliver the best products for our customers.
- With transparency. We have an open, collaborative team environment. No cubicles, no private offices.
- With agility. We don’t believe in following a process for process’s sake. We ship frequently and focus on delivering incremental value.
- With pride. We value our people most of all. We invest in ourselves by applying our own strengths and interests to company needs.
- Lunch and learns
- Annual stipend for continuous education
- Tech all-hands every other Friday
- Hack days
- Team outings
- Nordstrom discount
- Flexible work environment
- Social environment with built-in bars
- Competitive package with relocation assistance and visa sponsorship where applicable