Director, Database Administration (Remote) at Paylocity
The Director of Database Administration is a critical role in our Product and Tech organization. This highly visible member of the Technology Leadership Team has overall accountability for the end-to-end strategy of Database Administration in Paylocity’s business and will lead multiple initiatives to deliver against that strategy.
We are in search of a creative and driven leader to oversee our database group. The database group is an ambitious, diligent, highly motivated group working together to provide a stable, scalable, and secure database environment for our customers. We are looking for an experienced thought leader who thrives working in a product oriented high transaction software company.
This position requires a strategic leader committed to finding and delivering against our customers’ unmet needs. This role will enable a culture of innovation and ownership across all of Product and Technology – ensuring the teams are entrepreneurial and self-sufficient, while still focused on a common vision.
Are you the teammate we are looking for?
In the first six months, you will:
- Develop database initiatives that improve the stability and scalability of our user experience
- Identify, develop and articulate the most important missions for your teams; transparently communicate outcomes, updates and unmet needs.
- Prioritize the most important work for your teams and ensure transparency with customers and stakeholders
- Be a leader of and a center of excellence for all matters relating to current and future database technologies
- Identify and track key performance metrics for the team and technology; use these metrics to find new ways of working to improve sustainability for your teams and the availability of infrastructure
- Build and foster relationships with key internal and external business partners. Seek feedback and perspective from your peers, and offer the same back
- Lead and foster innovation within the Database organization, drive key decisions and focus on customer outcomes
- Create a culture of accountability, quality, agility and high performance that will foster the attraction, development and retention of excellent product and technical talent
- Work with your teams to establish, track, and support career development at all levels
- Drive a sustainable move to high availability that promotes incredibly fast recovery and resiliency
- Upgrade seamlessly to current version of SQL Server with no customer impact
- Drive 4-and-a-half-9s availability of the database server
- Spend considerable time with product teams and tech practice leaders understanding our overall strategy, contributing to it, and sharing perspective on how teams could more effectively drive higher performance and availability
- Mentor team members and coach them to continue to scale in our high-growth environment
Who you are:
- Collaborative, Entrepreneurial, Innovative, Humble, and oriented to optimize to company’s success
- Unwavering in your desire for production stability – you believe that availability is the #1 feature of your systems
- Creative thinker with the ability to design a vision for database strategy, centered on customer’s unmet needs
- Influential leader who rallies multiple teams around the vision, and creates an atmosphere where teams are empowered to deliver
- Exhibits grit and perseverance in a growing software company with high transactions that continues to exceed platform capabilities
- Driven to achieve and willing to change your mind to support improved customer outcomes
- Determined and willing to experiment, embracing constant feedback loops
- A leader who focuses on talent development by creating enabling and inclusive environments and identifying, mentoring and cultivating high potentials.
- Relentlessly curious about current market and technology trends, using such information to influence database strategy and direction
- A superior communicator with an affinity for change management
- Minimum 10 years’ work experience as a senior level database technologist and a minimum experience of 5 years+ as a people manager
- 3-5 years’ experience in the Microsoft Stack (e.g. SQL server, .Net, Windows Server). Hands-on knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server best practices
- Able to effectively present information, gain feedback and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers
- Extraordinary people and program management skills, with a leadership style that inspires and shows confidence
- Possess business acumen and technical expertise to create a big-picture vision and has the drive and attention to detail that transforms strategy into action
- Experience working in a matrix environment where authority is shared with business and product leaders