Engineering Manager, Data at Reverb
Reverb is the largest online marketplace dedicated to buying and selling new, used, and vintage musical instruments. Since launching in 2013, Reverb has grown into a vibrant community of buyers and sellers all over the world. By focusing on inspiring content, price transparency, musician-focused eCommerce tools, a music-savvy customer service team, and more, Reverb has created an online destination where the global music community can connect over the perfect piece of music gear.
Our core belief is that music makes the world a better place. Through Reverb Gives, a portion of every sale provides youth music education programs across the world with instruments they need to make music.Job Description
Reverb.com is looking for managers who are passionate about developing our next generation of product-focused engineers. We care deeply about encouraging an environment that promotes learning and development. You’ll play an instrumental role in presenting your team with the right challenges to keep them engaged and motivated. As a company that values feedback, we look for people who excel at giving and inviting feedback in a way that encourages dialogue and inspires teams to succeed.
To complement your people skills, you’re also confident in shipping outstanding products. We believe in a collaborative approach with active involvement in the product development process: leading technical discussions, presenting and evaluating trade-offs, developing empathy with internal stakeholders, and rolling up your sleeves to get into the details of the code, as the occasion calls.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager who can lead a team of engineers to grow and scale our Data Engineering systems. You will work closely with our analytics, product, marketing, and finance teams to enable accurate, scalable access to data. You will partner with our Data Science team to build and integrate machine learning into the product. You will build and mentor an engineering team, teaching and fostering new skills and embodying our engineering principles. You will use Airflow, Redshift, DBT, Looker, Datadog, Python, and more. Reverb has embraced a data-first approach to building products and you will lead the team at the center of it all.
- Foster and embrace rituals that enable steady delivery with a focus on quality and sustainability. Clear the way for your team by identifying, understanding, and removing obstacles.
- Collaborate with other teams to plan and prioritize a roadmap for the data team. Deliver on the roadmap by writing tickets, running planning meetings, helping the team understand the larger context of their work, and supporting your team members across various workstreams.
- Support the career growth of team members by setting clear expectations and providing constructive feedback.
- Champion communication and trust between teams, with analytics, and across the organization. Ensure our data is reliable, well-tested, understood, and useful across Reverb.
- Drive technical and strategic vision of the team and help translate day-to-day issues into coherent and robust systems.
- Ensure Reverb engineering practices are maintained and help create or update processes where needed.
- Experience building and maintaining ELT data pipelines. We currently use Airflow, Redshift, SQL, DBT, Looker and a few others.
- A history of building an effective technical team via hiring, developing, and motivating talent. Comfort operating as both a leader and a pair to developers.
- Familiarity or interest with the principles and applications of machine learning models in user-facing use cases.
- Ability to break down ambiguous problems into impactful work while communicating with both technical and non-technical team members.
- A passion for Reverb and the products we are building, with the ability to inspire that passion in others.
- Experience in related domains within e-commerce is highly desirable.
About our compensation and benefits
Reverb offers compensation packages that include base, bonus, and equity in the form of Etsy restricted stock units. Some of our key benefits include:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents (you read it right: no premiums!)
- Life, AD&D, and supplemental long-and short-term disability insurance
- Matching 401(k)
- A generous vacation policy, plus unlimited sick and mental health days
- 18 weeks of gender-neutral parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child
- 12 weeks of fully-paid family leave
- Up to $7,500 reimbursement of adoption-related expenses
- Ways to give back to you community through a charitable contribution match and volunteer time off
At Reverb, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant and resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Reverb is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
We know that the impostor syndrome and confidence gap are real. If you have a passion for data, for leadership, and for music, please do not hesitate to apply!
This is a full-time position located (eventually) in Chicago, reporting to the Director of Engineering.