Head of Data Science & Analytics at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest-growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What is a Head of Data Science & Analytics at Clearcover?
Clearcover is looking for a Head of Data Science and Analytics to define and execute the data science, artificial intelligence, and analytics strategy at one of the fastest growing technology companies in Chicago.
Reporting to the Chief Product and Technology Officer, this role will support our culture of evidence-based decision-making by identifying ways to use data science, AI, and machine learning to develop new capabilities and drive business results. We exist in a market where data is abundant, but often under-leveraged, so you’ll help us create key competitive advantages by moving quickly, taking smart risks, and staying ahead of the curve. You will use research results to shape strategy for the company, and help build a foundation of tools and practices used by quantitative staff across the company.
What will you do?
- Define and execute our long-term vision for data science, which includes our strategic machine learning/AI efforts as well as business intelligence and analytics.
- Build out a world class analytics, data science, and data engineering department with a do more with less attitude.
- It’s a startup, so while you’re building that team you’ll roll up your sleeves and build a few things too.
- Invest in your team’s skills, tools, and processes to improve their velocity.
- Be a data evangelist. Examine every area of our business and build a strategy of how data can be used for a competitive advantage.
- Partner with many different executive team members on how to apply your team’s capabilities to our most challenging strategic questions.
What do you have?
- Professional experience as a data science leader, setting the vision for how to most effectively use data in a data-centric organization.
- Expert-level experience with a wide range of quantitative methods that can be applied to business problems, including deep experience with machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills on quantitative topics for a variety of audiences: product managers, designers, engineers, and business leaders.
- Fluency in data fundamentals: SQL, data manipulation using a procedural language, statistics, experimentation, and modeling
- Significant experience coding in Python and/or R
- Experience productionizing machine learning models
- Data science/machine learning experience
- Managing a team of data scientists
- Exceptional ability to manage priorities across multiple stakeholders.
- Experience modeling atop both sparse and dense data.
- Uncommon intuition, smarts and desire to improve.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or a related quantitative field.
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover the vast majority of your premiums to make the cost of you and your family's coverage affordable. Plus, we contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- 401(K) contribution of 3%
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- And yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social