Head of Data Science at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What's a Head of Data Science?
We are looking for a Head of Data Science to oversee all Data Science and Machine Learning efforts, own the DS roadmap and build a high-performance team to execute on the roadmap.
We launched our product in 2018 and have sold thousands of policies. We have a data pipeline and a fledgling data science team that is working on a handful of high-impact models for early 2019. As the Head of Data Science, you will develop strategies to use our data to shape and enhance many of the initiatives we currently have planned and many we have not yet considered.
What will you do?
- Build out a highly-effective, engaged and happy data science team.
- Oversee the data science roadmap based on both short-term business priorities and long-term strategic vision.
- Collaborate with leadership to advocate for data-driven decision making.
- Be a technical leader and mentor for the data science team, helping to institute best engineering practices (coding standards, automated testing, CI/CD, scalability, etc).
- Research, develop and deploy production ML models.
- Partner with data engineering and software engineering to design, implement and evolve an incredibly effective machine learning infrastructure.
- Use your creativity and intuition to identify which problems to solve and which problems to defer.
What do you have?
- 5+ years of data science/machine learning experience
- 2+ years leading a team of data scientists
- Extraordinary ability to handle priorities across multiple stakeholders
- Experience modeling atop both sparse and dense data
- Uncommon intuition, smarts and desire to improve
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- MS/PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or a related quantitative field
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium, 75% of your dependents and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- While we don't match yet, our 401(K) is pretty slick
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social