Lead Architect, Cloud based Big Data platforms
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
The Advanced Analytics Platforms (AAP) team at Discover is looking for a Senior Architect to lead the Value Stream comprising of Cloud engineering, Platform engineering and Data engineering teams. In this role, you will establish the architecture roadmap and capabilities across multiple agile teams. You will be responsible for presenting a cohesive view of the architecture across multiple disciplines. If you are passionate about being part of a journey, that re-invents and re-architects the way we do Data-analytics from a legacy Batch to a Cloud-based Agile/ Real-time paradigm, this role is for you.
- Lead architect for the Cloud Data platform & capability Value stream
- Collaborate with other architects to set an architecture vision for the next 3 years and create an architecture roadmap, for the engineering teams to execute
- Ability to present high level views to Executives and also go down to the detail level for individual engineering teams
- Expert in Cloud-based Data analytic capabilities and services
- Architect secure, enterprise-scale patterns to support ‘Data as service patterns’, Container based processing, Real-time Data & Analytics, Cloud-native MPP
- Knowledgeable with emerging technology trends , drive a ‘Prototype driven’ culture
- Understand Business use cases and design Cloud-based solutions/ applications by integrating Cloud-based building blocks
- Architect secure Cloud infrastructure, infrastructure as code for automation, Cloud-based security to run enterprise scale data-analytic platforms
- Leverage DevOps techniques and practices like CI/CD, Test Automation, Build Automation and Test Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of working code utilizing tools like Jenkins, Maven, Nexus, Chef, Ansible, Git, and Docker
- Set high standards and build architecture that blends in Agile, Scale, Security and Reliability
- Attract, recruit and lead the industry’s best talent and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure we are developing the appropriate data assets based on the highest value business use cases
- Represent Discover as a presenter at local meetups and conferences
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- Proven ability to set technical strategy, applying an in-depth understanding of the business strategy governing that area
- Excellent problem-solving skills involving complex and ambiguous issues
- AWS Solution Architect experience
- At least 3 years of experience in a Technology Leadership position
- At least 3 years of experience leading cloud engineering/ architecture teams
- At least 3 years of professional work experience in data warehousing / analytics
- At least 3 years of experience in open source programming languages for data analysis
- Master’s Degree or PhD
- 5+ years Java development experience
- 3+ years of experience in Python, Scala, or R for large scale data analysis
- 5+ years’ experience with Relational Database Systems and SQL
- 5+ years of UNIX/Linux experience
- 2+ years of Agile engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience with Cloud computing
- 1+ years of experience with supervised machine learning
- 1+ years of experience in developing large and complex event processing platforms
- 1+ years of experience in developing high volume transaction processing solutions that can be scaled for millions of daily transactions
- Experience with major cloud providers such as AWS, Azure and GCP
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
So if you want to make a real difference and join an award winning team recognized by ComputerWorld for Best Places to Work, The Best Employers for Women by Forbes and Top Work Places in Chicago by Indeed, check out http://www.mydiscovercareer.com and Built In Chicago .
What are you waiting for? Apply today. And by the way, while you’re waiting to hear from us, don’t forget to explore the great benefits Discover offers at www.mydiscoverbenefits.com .
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.