Lead Business Data Analyst at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Responsible for working with the business and technology (BT) teams for the Card Data Ops in Discover Financial Services’ Enterprise Technology. An organizational catalyst who will help build and enable enterprise asset creation following the Discover Financial Services’ standard practices. Serve as a bridge between the business and BT to enable data solution development. Responsible for the coordinating the generation and consumption of data for various business initiatives on next generation data platforms. Understand the data ingestion and processing frameworks at the fundamental level. Gather and analyze the business requirements, work with various business, data scientist, and BT teams; identify and understand data requirements at the attribute level and prepare detailed specifications for the Software/Data Engineers. Develop testing plans to ensure data quality of the delivered solution.
The Lead Business Data Analyst position also participates in data solution strategy, including resolving strategic data integration issues, such as data quality and stewardship, real time or event-based data integration, and crafting a vision for data integration working with the architecture organization. The Lead position researches and evaluates alternative solutions; recommends the most efficient and cost-effective solutions best suited for the requirements. Other responsibilities include: mentoring other Business Data Analysts, preparing detailed and creating technical design plans.
- Partner with business and technology teams to develop data applications. Identify business data ingestion and processing frameworks. Coordinates and obtains data application requirements from the business. Translates business requirements to development teams. Assist with development and testing processes. Coordinate data application and model deployments and validations.
- Assists with the development of models, analytic processes, and reports. Provides guidance on the development of data consumption processes.
- Ensures data governance policies are followed by implementing and validating data lineage, quality checks, classification, etc.
- Provides support for deployed data applications and analytical models. Identifies data problems and guides issue resolutions.
- Provides data and technical consulting during data application design. Provide technical consulting on data composition and data engineering.
- Demonstrated experience with integration technologies and how to leverage them into data mapping between systems
- Extensive experience with transforming business requirements into technical specification for data designs and solutions.
- Experience in agile process and technology
- Strong oral and written communication skills; Demonstrated ability to clearly articulate information or solution.
- Experience leading a high performing work team
- Good time management skills (i.e. works efficiently)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve complex problems
- Strong team player who is able to work across multiple functions and disciplines
- Expertise with the design and development of ETL data solutions
- Expertise with relational databases, data integration tools:
- Snowflake, Teradata or alike
- Ab Initio or Informatica or Datastage
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology.
- 4+ years Data analysis, business analysis, data application programming, ETL development, next generation databases, or related
- In lieu of education, 6+ years of experience in Data analysis, business analysis, data application programming, ETL development, next generation databases, or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Experience with writing complex SQL queries
- Experience with Cloud-based technologies :
- AWS, Snowflake
- Big Data stacks/ecosystem including Kafka, Spark, Python, NoSQL.
- Expertise in enabling business intelligence solutions through data integration; including roles that span the complete BI lifecycle, from strategy to ETL to report implementation
- Experience in data science and mining
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.