Lead Business Data Analyst at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in advancing the analytic technology landscape? Are you driven by the thought of being involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented individual to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists.
We’re looking for a well-rounded individual who’s not afraid to roll their sleeves up. We use some exciting tools and technologies – ideally you’ll know some, but we want you to be excited about what we’re doing.
In this role, you will be a contributing member to a team that works on an idea from conception to implementation with next generation technologies. This is a varied role that will require analyzing business and user needs, documenting data requirements and translating them into system requirement specifications.
- Be the bridge between Data Scientist, Model Development and Data Engineering to enable model and strategy development against enterprise data assets.
- Analyze data across multiple platforms to provide insights and recommendations to support enterprise data assets principles.
- Gathers data application requirements from Data Scientists and other operational teams to ensure that the business needs will be met.
- Designs transformation logic in source to targets to be implemented by partner Data Engineers.
- Partners with the Data Scientists and Data Engineers throughout the development and testing processes by ensuring that the team understands the parameters and needs of the project.
- Understand at a fundamental level our data ingestion and processing frameworks.
- Enhances, optimizes, and automates existing processes through analysis and provides functional specifications.
- Translates new business requirements into functional specifications and provides them to technology teams.
- Partner with business and technology teams to develop data applications. Identify business data ingestion and processing frameworks. Coordinates and obtains data application requirements from the business. Translates business requirements to development teams. Assist with development and testing processes. Coordinate data application and model deployments and validations.
- Assists with the development of models, analytic processes, and reports. Provides guidance on the development of data consumption processes
- Ensures data governance policies are followed by implementing and validating data lineage, quality checks, classification, etc.
- Implements quality control procedures and validates production data. Provides technical consulting on data systems. Identifies and analyzes production data issues and proposes solutions.
- Analyses and designs business systems including: diagnosing business needs and related requirement specifications, system development planning, creation and implementation of a test plans, and on-going project oversight. Compares implemented solutions against original specifications and makes necessary adjustments.
- Provides support for deployed data applications and analytical models. Identifies data problems and guides issue resolutions.
- Provides data and technical consulting during data application design. Provide technical consulting on data composition and data engineering.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology
- 4+ years of experience in Data analysis, business analysis, data application programming, ETL development, next generation databases, or related
- In Lieu of Education 6+ years of experience in Data analysis, business analysis, data application programming, ETL development, next generation databases, or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Experience with Project Management, Scrum Master
- Experience with variety of databases e.g. Teradata, Oracle, Snowflake
- Experience with data warehouses, marts, business intelligence reports and operational systems
- 3+ years ad hoc SQL experience researching data
- Strong communication skills – ability to talk effectively to business users, data scientists and engineers
- Candidate to have critical & analytical thinking mindset, along with certain level of understanding or experience working in a DW environment as a Business Analyst.
- Candidate should be proficient in writing SQL queries to analyze data, profile data sets and able to logically connect data attributes and data assets across the Enterprise.
- Candidates should possess an eye for detail, catch ambiguities in data, and work with the Data Architects to understand Functional requirements, and translate & document the details, pass them to the Data Engineers and work with them hand in hand throughout the data development life cycle.
- Bonus, if the candidates are experienced with Customer, Marketing and Financial domains or have worked on Conceptual & Logical data modeling within these domains.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.