Lead Data Engineer
About the Company
Civis Analytics is a rapidly growing Chicago-based company building SaaS data science products to help organizations use data to drive and optimize their decisions. We are proud to work on some of the world’s most meaningful data science challenges.
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of best-in-class proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About the Role
The Lead Data Engineer, reporting to the VP of Engineering, provides technical, strategic, and operational leadership to the organization. This is an experienced leader with a passion for building compelling customer experiences and a proven ability to grow and lead a team of talented engineers through research, design, development, testing, and launch of high-quality data-driven products. The person in this role has the opportunity to have a very large impact on the organization.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for design, implementation, and production support of data-driven products and the infrastructure required by those products. You will play a role in every stage of development, working with product managers to identify client needs, formulating a high-level technical strategy, leading the development process, and providing ongoing support. This is a highly collaborative role, frequently partnering with other teams at Civis. You will help Civis Analytics build great products, with a particular focus on the data pipelines that support them.
Civis Analytics has opportunities for applicants who are seasoned professionals, brilliant newcomers, and anywhere in between. We are looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work, and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
You will be leading the team responsible for:
- Building ETL pipelines between the Civis platform and outside systems
- Building Civis' internal data pipelines for various sources, including but not limited to: survey data, consumer data, public data, and client data
- Designing and building the next generation of Civis’ data infrastructure
- Building and maintaining the core datasets for consulting, R&D, and deployed applications
- Working with our devops, legal, and security teams to ensure proper privacy and compliance for Civis data
You’ll do this by:
- Leading architectural and technical decisions with a team of engineers
- Managing work on core datasets and and data pipelines and ensuring they are integrated into the rest of the technical organization and product
- Diving into the work to support team deliverables when your experience is needed
- Leading agile technical delivery of data pipelines and core data assets
- Managing and supporting hiring and career growth for the team
- Training and onboarding new team members
- Maintaining a technical culture that favors people over process, strong ownership and high transparency
- 5+ years in data engineering, data-centric software development or a related field
- Experience leading a technical team
- Experience in Agile project/product delivery
- Experience managing high value data assets
- Experience developing software products and/or data pipelines
- Experience or demonstrated interest in working with data scientists and machine learning experts
- Strong understanding of architectural requirements and development processes involved in building reliable, robust, scalable data products and pipelines
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, written/verbal presentation, and the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Skills and personality to operate effectively in a very fast-paced, complex business
- Strong knowledge of data warehousing and data processing technologies and trends