Lead Data Engineer at Discover
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
As a Lead Data Engineer you will provide engineering leadership to create and enhance data solutions enabling seamless integration and flow of data across our data ecosystem. Additionally you will provide lead level technical consulting to peer data engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical data projects. Some of these projects will include designing and developing data ingestion and processing/transformation frameworks leveraging open source tools such as Sqoop, Hive, Java, Python, Spark, etc. Additionally you will work on real time processing solutions using tools such as Apex, Flink, Storm and Kafka. You will deploy application code and analytical models using CI/CD tools and techniques and provide support for deployed data applications and analytical models.
- Develop data driven solutions utilizing current and next generation technologies to meet evolving business needs.
- Ability to quickly identify an opportunity and recommend possible technical solutions.
- Utilize multiple development languages/tools such as AbInitio, Python, SPARK, HBase, Hive, Microsoft R, Java to build prototypes and evaluate results for effectiveness and feasibility.
- Operationalize open source data-analytic tools for enterprise use.
- Develop real-time data ingestion and stream-analytic solutions leveraging technologies such as Kafka, Apache Spark, Python, HBase and Hadoop.
- Custom Data pipeline development (Cloud and locally hosted)
- Provide support for deployed data applications and analytical models by being a trusted advisor to Data Scientists and other data consumers by identifying data problems and guiding issue resolution with partner Data Engineers and source data providers.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the analysis, preparation of specifications and plans for the development of data processes.
- Ensure proper data governance policies are followed by implementing or validating Data Lineage, Quality checks, classification, etc.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Hands on experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) based solutions such as RDS, Lambda, Dynamodb, Snowflake and S3.
- Experience in migrating ETL processes (not just data) from relational warehouse Databases to AWS based solutions.
- Experience in building & utilizing tools and frameworks within the Big Data ecosystem including Hadoop, Kafka, Nifi, Hive, Spark, HBase, NoSQL.
- Deep AbInitio, SQL and Relational Databases knowledge
- Willingness to continuously learn & share learnings with others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Very strong verbal & written communication skills
- Experience within the Financial industry
- 4+ years of experience of being a lead engineer amongst a team of equal or junior level developers
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and professional speaking skills
- Collaborative individual who excels in working within a team and with business partners identify, develop and deliver innovative data solutions
- Ability to demonstrate leadership to managers, and peer level staff.
- Strong ability to build and leverage external relationships.
- Decision making abilities while gathering information and then put your decisions into action.
- Passionate learner who enjoys education through class room training and self-discovery on a variety of emerging technologies
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.