Lead Data Engineer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in advancing the analytic technology landscape? Are you driven by the thought of being involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented individual to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists.
*** BASED ON CANDIDATE PREFERENCE THIS POSITION CAN BE BASED IN OUR HEADQUARTERS IN RIVERWOODS ILLINOIS OR OUR DOWNTOWN CHICAGO OFFICE ***
In this role, you will use your experience and hands-on approach with next generation technologies to contribute to a team that performs custom (JS/Java)application development work utilizing container (Docker, Kubernetes & OpenShift Container platform) and cloud (AWS) platforms.
Responsible for analyzing, modifying, and supporting application software. Ensures quality code is delivered through continuous integration, development, and testing. Performs technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
Duties will include:
- Contributing member of a high performing, agile team focused on next generation data & analytic technologies
- Work closely with clients and BT team members to understand the departmental stakeholder requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions will be aligned with Discover and BT strategies and compliant with DFS’s architectural standards
- Involved in the full life cycle of application and platform development, including design and implementation of build, release, deployment and configuration activities
- Integration of legacy and open-source RDBMS systems with modern technology stacks (AWS Cloud, Container Platforms, Kafka, Elastic, Spark/EMR)
- Develop micro services using Java and integrating with other applications delivering analytics solutions in a container / kubernetes environment (OpenShift) that integrates with cloud-base (AWS) services.
- Build application and pipelines that enable data scientists and business analysts to easily consume cloud-native services
- Develop PoC’s using emerging technologies for real-time and big data analytics.
- Design and support container image lifecycle management systems
- Maintains application software and systems. Ensures all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated.
- Delivers technology solutions that support business goals. Partners with the product owner to understand business requirements, evaluates features, and translates application specifications into workable technical solutions.
- Supports technical initiatives and provides input into best practices to team.
- Oversees and reviews development activities of team members and contractors.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Computer Systems, or related technical field
- 6+ years of experience in relevant technical expertise
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 6+ years’ experience in design and implementation REST API-based micro-services using JAVA,SpringBoot technologies
- 2+ years Linux/Unix experience including basic commands, shell scripting and solution engineering
- 1+ years’ experience working with PostgreSQL/Snowflake .
- 1+ years working with container orchestration solutions (Kubernetes / OpenShift, Docker)
- 1+ Experience with CI/CD pipelines (Git,Jenkins,JFrog Artifactory )
- Hands on experience with AWS services such as EC2, RDS, IAM, Lambda, SNS, SQS, and S3
- Proficient with ANSI SQL
- Experience managing code on Github
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Experience with Swagger and similar frameworks
- Familiarity with SAS, R, Python for data mining and analytics
- Experience designing, developing, and implementing ETL pipelines with big data solutions
- Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools or underlying algorithms
- Familiarity with Complex Event Processing systems
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!