Lead Data Engineer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for designing and developing data-driven platforms and next-generation analytic technologies.
On top of that, as a lead data engineer, you will help design and build the solution for metadata driven platform at Discover. You will play a critical role to help create a single pane of glass that supports comprehensive and authoritative collection of enterprise metadata, and create enterprise level solution helping Discover to unlock the value of its data.
Currently, the team is working with technologies and products such as Alation for Data Cataloging, Ab Initio MDH for Data Lineage creation, and also building a data fabric pipeline in AWS to enable enterprise wide big data initiatives. You will be helping design and implement data pipeline to move critical data registry information across multiple platforms for information integration. Additionally, you will also be part of a high performing engineer team to create automated data registry, data catalog, and classification solutions in both batch and real-time space.
- Designs and develops complex and critical data projects.
- Designs and develops real-time processing solutions.
- Creates and enhances data solutions that enable seamless integration and flow of data across the data ecosystem.
- Designs and develops data ingestion frameworks, leveraging open-source tools and data-processing frameworks.
- Develops, implements, and supports application codes and analytical models.
- Partners with the business and technology team to complete business initiatives in data governance space. Develop data driven solutions utilizing current and next generation technologies to meet evolving business needs.
- Ability to quickly identify an opportunity and recommend possible technical solution in metadata management and data catalog.
- Follow Agile development approach for custom data pipeline development (Cloud and on prem).
- Utilize multiple development languages/tools such as Python, SPARK, Java, CI/CD pipeline, customized API calls to build prototypes and evaluate results for effectiveness and feasibility.
- Work heavily within the AWS ecosystem, using AWS services.
- Operationalize open source data-analytic tools for enterprise use.
- Ensure proper data governance policies are followed by implementing or validating Data Registry, Metadata Management, etc.
- Help couch and management junior team members.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and professional speaking skills
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, or related engineering field
- 3+ years of experience of being a lead engineer amongst a team of equal or junior level developers
- Development experience with programming languages such as Java, python and spark
- Development experience with developing REST API
- Strong in Unix/Shell scripting
- Deep level understanding and implementation experience across AWS Data Services such as Glue, Kinesis, SQS, Redshift, VPC, IAM, EC2, RDS, SNS, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, Step Functions, Lambda, EMR
- Experience in ETL / Data application development (preferably Ab Initio)
- A deep understanding of Enterprise Metadata Management and Data Catalog function and how cataloged data fuels safe and sound operations, and innovation
- Experience in data management and building data pipeline for cloud data assets
- Strong ability to build and leverage external relationships
- Decision making abilities while gathering information and then put your decisions into action
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.