Lead Data Governance Engineer at Clearcover
Our Value Proposition: Clearcover is a venture-backed technology start-up disrupting the trillion dollar legacy insurance market. We’ve focused on building products that create confident, happy customers - and we’re flourishing. We believe in putting our people first, paying them well and working together to solve tough problems. If you’d like a high-growth opportunity with an award-winning company, let’s chat.
Reporting to the Data Engineering Team Lead, the Data Governance Lead will design, own, and implement the next phase of data governance for our unified data/analytics platform. This person is responsible for transforming how we enforce quality, security, observability, and discovery across our entire data stack. Our data comes from a multitude of sources, including our eventing pipeline, write-ahead logs, APIs and legacy flat files. Our stakeholders rely on us daily to make data access and reliability a strength of our business. This role will lead the charge in making sure our data is used appropriately and reliably.
What will you do?
- Architect workflows to collect, connect, and annotate source to destination data pipeline components to leverage for discovery, lineage, auditing, and observability.
- Building and maintaining the core datasets, documentation, and infrastructure used for data governance.
- Ensuring privacy, compliance, and security protocols for our data through designing best practices and programmatic workflows to enforce role based access control to our data.
- Integrating data governance practices into the rest of the technical organization and products.
- Delivering tooling and processes for using data governance artifacts, securing data access, and ensuring data reliability.
- Work with business partners to gather feedback and requirements iteratively.
- Lead and grow the Data Governance team at Clearcover.
- Providing technical mentorship to fellow Engineers and Analysts.
What do you need?
- Passionate about data security, discovery, and reliability.
- Team oriented, possessing strong collaboration skills.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams.
- Dedication to continuous learning as a core component of the position.
- Experience leading a team of engineers working in data/analytics or data governance.
- Experience implementing, testing, debugging and deploying data governance pipelines using 2+ of the following tools: Prefect, Airflow, Glue, Kafka, Serverless(Lambda, Kinesis, SQS, SNS).
- Experience with implementing and managing Role Based Access Control using 1+ Cloud Data Warehousing technologies: Redshift, BigQuery, Spark, Snowflake, Presto, Athena, S3.
- Experience with the implementation and administration of data observability, discovery, and lineage solutions using commercial or open source tooling.
- Experience with reporting on data access and data lineage for compliance and auditing purposes.
- Experience writing and automating documentation to support data governance or data discovery.
- Proficient with Python for backend and/or data pipeline development . Bonus points for contributions to open source projects.
- Proficient with cloud operations management/configuration using tools like Terraform and/or Cloudformation.
- Proficient with SQL for analytical querying and data processing.
But wait, there’s more: As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums) and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.