Lead Data Governance Engineer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As a member of the Enterprise Data Management and Governance team this individual is an active participant in the design, development, implementation, and sustainment of a long-term enterprise data management and governance program. They are responsible for the design, development, coding, and implementation of data quality, data stewardship, metadata management, and sensitive data management applications.
- Designs solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management, and data steward activities.
- Develops and codes solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management, and data steward activities.
- Implements some improvements in architecture, team processes, and functions.
- Understand the role of metadata in capturing data lineage, and supporting data quality
- Define/extend meta-models within a data cataloging repository.
- Build metadata administration and maintenance routines.
- Partners with data governance, data stewards, and subject matter experts to create and maintain business definitions/business glossary for enterprise data.
- Evaluates data dictionaries for duplication, gaps and/or quality issues to ensure acceptable metadata quality score.
- Analysis of existing source-to-target mapping documents to produce end-to-end data lineage for enterprise data.
- Data tagging of business metadata in accordance with the metadata management policy, standards, and procedures.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Technology
- 5+ years of experience in Information Technology, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Quality
- In lieu of a degree, 7+ years of experience in Information Technology, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Quality
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Advanced Microsoft office skills, especially advanced Excel skills
- Ability to analyze complex data, business processes, and information flow needs.
- Basic understanding of the importance of data
- Familiarity with metadata concepts
- Familiarity with data profiling techniques
- Basic relational database skills
- Basic Windows and Unix operating systems skills
- Exposure to data governance, data standards and data policies
- Experience with metadata management tools.
- Clear and effective communicator: written and verbal
- Ability to convey complex concepts to business stakeholders in terms relevant to the business
- Organized, structured, methodical.
- Strong prioritization and time management skills.
- Relevant Technology Certifications
- Basic Data Visualization Skills
- Office Macro Development Skills
- Ability to write moderately complex SQL queries.
- Basic Data Modeling Skills
- Basic skills in Big Data platforms like Spark etc
- Experience in working on ETL solutions like Ab-initio, IDQ, SSIS etc
- Development Skills in Python or Java or any other programming language
- Experience in AWS
- Development Skills in R
- Knowledge with Metadata Hub
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.