Lead Data Platform Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in advancing the analytic technology landscape? Are you driven by the thought of being involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented individual to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists.
In this role, you will use your experience and hands on approach with next generation technologies to contribute to a team that delivers the latest streaming & next generation data technologies.
***THIS ROLE HAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK 100% REMOTE FROM HOME***
Contributing member of a high performing, agile team focused on next generation data & analytic technologies.
- Create and enhance analytic platforms & tools that enable state of the art, next generation Big Data capabilities to analytic users and applications.
- Assist application development teams during application design and development for highly complex and critical data projects.
- Code and integrate open source solutions into the data analytic ecosystem.
- Develop fast prototype solutions by integrating various open source components.
- Operationalization of open source data analytic tools for enterprise use.
- Be part of teams delivering all data projects including migration to new data technologies for unstructured, streaming and high volume data.
- Building efficient data platform for structured and unstructured data.
- Developing and deploying distributed computing Big Data applications using frameworks like Apache Spark and Kafka.
- Utilizing programming languages like Java, Spark, Python, with an emphasis in tuning, optimization and best practices for application developers
- Developing data management and governance tools on an open source framework
- Leveraging DevOps techniques and practices like Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation and Test Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of end user capabilities
- Developing data solutions on cloud deployments such as AWS
- Industry experience in Financial Services or other regulated industries
- Hands on experience leading delivery through Agile methodologies
- Management practices by adhering to required standards and processes
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
- Develops and maintains backend systems
- Works with key stakeholders to design complex solutions and lead from inception to production
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved team processes; mentors junior team members
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or related field
- 6+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in computer science, information technology or related field
- 2+ years Linux/Unix including basic commands, shell scripting and solution engineering
- 2+ years of development experience in Cloud platforms (AWS preferred, Azure)
- 2+ years of experience with S3, EMR, RDS, Serverless technologies, dynamodb, lambda, Kubernetes
- Experience developing software solutions to build out capabilities on a Big Data and other Enterprise Data Platforms
- Experience with solving problems and delivering high quality results in a fast paced environment
- Expertise in coding in Python, Spark, Java with emphasis on tuning / optimization
- Experience developing data solutions on AWS
- Experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems (Chef, Jenkins, Docker, Github)
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.