Lead Data Scientist at Quantium
Since 2002, Quantium have combined the best of human and artificial intelligence to power possibilities for individuals, organizations and society. Whether it be building forecasting engines that are driving down food wastage or creating tools to support campaigns that combat human trafficking, Quantium believes in better goods, services, experiences, and championing the benefits of data science and AI for a brighter future.
Quantium is uniquely positioned to continue to grow and invest in building our team, driven by our goals to look after the health and safety of our people and to deliver exceptional solutions and services for our client’s growing needs.
Our teams based in San Francisco and Chicago are continuing to work remotely, supporting our clients on a variety of projects, solving unprecedented problems with impactful results. If you are a passionate data science leader ready to work on unsolved and challenging problems in data science for a growing company, we would love to hear from you.
Can you share a little more on some of Quantium’s projects?
Being a consulting and products company, the projects vary and will continue to become more diverse as we grow. We are currently working with a large North American bank to support them in understanding their customers to deliver value for both our client and the end customer and supporting retailers across the world in critical decision making in the current climate. These will typically be end-to-end data science solutions, including deploying complex models that underpin decision-engines. Our solutions have a big impact on our clients’ businesses, shaping the direction of their industries and the experience of the customers they touch.
What will I be doing as a Lead Data Scientist at Quantium?
Working on large scale projects, you will be leading project teams of data scientists (e.g. 6 people) and be accountable for significant parts of the solution design, approach and overall quality standards of the team’s work. Most of the time you will be busy hands on in the code yourself or providing close technical guidance for your team to deliver high quality solutions and diagnosing technical and commercial problems escalated to you.
You will also be working closely with our clients, fostering strategic, positive relationships and scoping new project opportunities to drive growth. As a people manager and key leader within the team, you will also have opportunity to partner closely with our VPs in building positive team engagement, resourcing, finances and overall business strategy.
Why should I be excited about this opportunity?
With our Americas team being established a little over three years ago, this is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, high growth environment where each person can contribute in their own unique way and have a big impact on the success of the team, whilst knowing that you have global capability (proven products and solutions built over 17 years) to back you. Quantium’s years of experience has demonstrated our success and growth through a multiplicity of environments.
Today in the US, we are working with some of the biggest companies in the world and have built some uniquely strong relationships with our clients. Working within a collaborative team environment with a flat structure, you will be working closely with our VPs, who are keen to share their knowledge to support your growth and provide as much additional accountability as you are capable and motivated to take on. The ceiling on your growth is completely up to you.
You've mentioned consulting work. Tell me more about the current travel and work arrangements
Currently, due to COVID-19, our team is working from home and continuing to connect with each other and our clients virtually. All interviewing and on-boarding will be done under this arrangement until it is safe to return to our offices.
In a normal working week, we would partner closely with our clients by working on site with them in their offices. For our team based in Chicago, this will require some travel to Bentonville, Arkansas.
What is Quantium looking for in the ideal candidate?
Before we get to your skills we want you to know that we actively try to foster an environment where all our employees feel safe, welcomed and celebrated. We look for the same in all people we hire.
At Quantium, our team are solving problems that haven’t previously been tackled in these industries. With multiple teams and projects on a massive scale, you’ll be a pragmatist and a true innovator who loves to solve complex issues and doesn’t shy away from ambiguity.
- You will likely have at least 7 years of hands-on experience in a highly technical analytics environment, carrying out data analytics and building predictive models with large, complex datasets
- Strong capability in designing technical solutions and leading a technical project team
- Proficiency in at least one of Spark / Scala, R or Python
- Ideally you will have formal people management experience and have a passion for supporting and seeing your team succeed
- Your keen eye for detail and in depth understanding of the data will see you understand the inner workings of what our team is building and be able to quickly identify the downstream impacts of analytical roadblocks
- Proven track record in building positive, strong stakeholder relationships and the ability to pitch in and secure new project proposals will be highly regarded
- A degree in a quantitative discipline e.g. actuarial studies, mathematics / statistics, engineering, computer science etc
What else can I look forward to?
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage, eligible from day one
- Flexible spending account
- Commuter tax benefit
- Retirement 401(k) plan with 6% employer contribution
- Annual bonus scheme
- Plenty of (currently virtual) social activities like bootcamp and team trivia to keep you connected