Lead Data Scientist at Pareto Intelligence (Chicago, IL)
At Pareto Intelligence, what you do has an impact on millions and works to better Healthcare. You’ll do this in one of the fastest growing companies in the Healthcare Analytics space, with a culture that promotes innovation, curiosity, inclusivity, and an impact on the community. Pareto provides data analytics support to its parent company – Convey Health Solutions – a specialized technology and services company in the Healthcare space. Convey is the market leader on Supplemental Benefits, providing Over-the-Counter (OTC) healthcare products, food and grocery, and other benefits to millions of consumers to meet their healthcare needs. Convey sits at the intersection of the healthcare and consumer industries, presenting an exciting opportunity to create new analytics to improve consumer experience and health outcomes.
We seek an ambitious “Full-Stack” Data Scientist for the role of Lead Data Scientist as part of the brand-new SBA Analytics team. The ideal candidate will possess prior experience in the Consumer Marketing or Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) industries, including experience building Recommender Systems, Forecasting Models and Consumer Segmentation Analytics. This role will be the first Data Scientist hire for this team. Accordingly, we seek someone with broad experience and skill sets, including data engineering, data analysis and visualization, data mining, and machine learning. In addition, we desire a candidate with strong business acumen, interpersonal skills, and the ability to drive projects forward independently.
We are a rapidly growing company with great ambitions! As such, we seek candidates who are excited to be a part of the team and bring a positive, flexible attitude. Over time your responsibilities may change, and we may throw new, complex/challenging problems at you to solve. We are looking for a candidate who shares in our excitement for what we are looking to do and possesses a demonstrated passion, curiosity, flexibility, and positive attitude! In addition, given the nature of the role, we seek candidates with the ability to wear multiple hats and step into a variety of roles.
This role will help build out our brand-new data analytics team within the organization to unlock new opportunities and value for the business, its healthcare company customers, and consumers. The initial focus is understanding key business metrics, processes, and core data sets to build data science-driven models and solutions. Priority areas include Product Recommender Systems, Forecasting Models, and Consumer Segmentation Analytics. Given this is a new team, there is an emphasis on building data pipelines, aggregating needed data sets, and evaluating appropriate tools and technologies. In addition, data visualization and presentation of insights and opportunities to business stakeholders, executives, and customers will be critical.
This role will report directly to the Vice President of Analytics. To start this is a hands-on individual contributor role with significant potential opportunity for growth and career progression, as the team grows. Candidates must be willing and able to travel, when necessary to various company and client sites. Estimated travel is approximately less than 20% of the time.
- Use data science techniques to generate new business insights and identify new opportunities
- Build analytics to generate product recommendations to consumers (e.g., product recommender systems) and improve the overall consumer experience
- Support business stakeholders and executives in forecasting product sales/orders, call volumes, and general consumer behaviors
- Use data visualization and presentation methods to obtain stakeholder, executive and customer support for new ideas and initiatives (“data storytelling”)
- Perform research and analysis on analytical techniques and methodologies
- Source, evaluate, manipulate, and explore new and existing data sets
- Identify key insights and metrics
- Learning new tools and technologies, including cloud-based big data technologies and new analytical packages
Required Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 7 years of total professional work experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a Data Science Role
- Minimum of 3 years in a consumer-oriented industry (e.g., CPG, Digital Consumer Products, etc.)
- Master’s Degree (or higher) in Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics, or a relevant field of study
- Advanced proficiency with Python or R, including analytical libraries (e.g., pandas, numpy, matplotlib, sci-kit learn)
- Advanced proficiency with SQL
- Prior experience with the following techniques:
- Product Recommender Systems: Association Mining, Market Basket Analysis, Collaborative Filtering
- Forecasting: Time Series Models, Cross-Sectional Forecasting Models
- Consumer Segmentation Analytics: Clustering techniques
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to independently manage small and medium sized projects
Preferred Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Prior experience in the healthcare industry (in addition to consumer)
- Experience working with Cloud-Based Big Data Technologies, including but not limited to Hadoop and Spark.
- Strong Attention to Detail & Curiosity: You have a keen eye for details and data-driven insights. You can identify valuable insights in vast amounts of data and information and are able to connect the dots between technical know-how and business objectives.
- Growth Mindset: You are always looking for ways to improve our products, processes, and, most importantly, yourself (personal and professional development). As part of this you are flexible and adaptable as the needs of our industry, customers, and organization as they rapidly evolve.
- Passion & Focus on Development: You demonstrate a genuine interest in the work Pareto and the broader Convey Family of Companies do, the healthcare industry, and the field of data analytics. You are focused on developing the skills required to succeed in your role and helping Pareto build towards its mission to liberate and democratize data in the healthcare industry.
- Grit: You are focused on execution and are not deterred by challenges and roadblocks. You do all you can to find a way to the right solution and strive create win-win opportunities with others.
Pareto Intelligence is a leading healthcare solutions company modernizing the way health plans and providers succeed in value-based care. These solutions are supported by proprietary algorithms, predictive models and advanced data science that have analyzed over $100 billion in claims/medical costs and touched over 14 million lives. Through this, Pareto demystifies complex healthcare data and delivers actionable strategies to achieve complete and accurate revenue, communicate critical patient information seamlessly, and inspire more informed business decisions. Pareto was launched in 2013 by HealthScape Advisors, a privately held management consulting firm based in Chicago. That means Pareto’s pedigree is deep expertise and a pragmatic approach to executing solutions.
Pareto Intelligence is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.