Lead Data Scientist at Quantium
Since 2002, Quantium have combined the best of human and artificial intelligence to power possibilities for individuals, organizations and society. Whether it be building forecasting engines that are driving down food wastage or creating tools to support campaigns that combat human trafficking, Quantium believes in better goods, services, experiences, and championing the benefits of data science and AI for a brighter future.
Are you an experienced data science leader who is tired of working on projects that aren’t rewarding or seem to go anywhere? Perhaps you’ve just been thinking there must be another way you can leverage your skills in a new environment, where you can really make a big and positive impact. If you are ready to take a step up and start working on unsolved and challenging problems in data science, we would love to hear from you.
Can you share a little more on some of Quantium’s projects?
At Quantium, we don’t shy away from tough, technical problems. As an example, we are currently leveraging our smarts in data science working with seismic amounts of retail data to optimize product offering for one of our clients. Other projects have included personalization of customer interactions, inventory forecasting and price elasticity. We work in fast-paced environments on transformational projects with tight timeframes, often teaming up our data scientists in Agile delivery squads. Our projects are diverse and our solutions have a big impact on our clients’ businesses, shaping the direction of their industries and the experience of the customers they touch.
What will I be doing as a Lead Data Scientist at Quantium?
We find that each of our Lead Data Scientists bring their own unique skills and experience to shape their role and we’d be excited to explore that further with you. As a general overview, you will likely lead a project team of data scientists (between 3 to 6 people) and will have accountability and ownership of one or more parts of the technical solution design and overall technical delivery. These will typically be end-to-end data science solutions, including deploying complex models that underpin decision-engines our clients will deploy. You may also be working closely with our clients to scope new project opportunities and foster strategic, positive relationships. As a people manager and a leader within the team, you will also play a key role in driving overall team standards, positive morale and a positive, engaged culture.
Why should I be excited about this opportunity?
With our Americas team being established a little over two and a half years ago, this is a unique opportunity to join an exciting, high growth environment where each team member is contributing in their own unique way and can have a big impact on the success of the team. You also have Quantium’s global capability (proven products and solutions built over 17 years!) to back you.
Today in the US, we are working with some of the biggest companies in the world and have built some uniquely strong relationships with our clients. Working within a collaborative team environment with a flat structure, you will be working closely with our VPs, who are keen to share their knowledge to support your growth and provide as much additional accountability as you are capable and motivated to take on. The ceiling on your growth is completely up to you.
You've mentioned consulting work. Can you tell me more about the travel requirements?
Our team is committed to growing trusted relationships with our clients. For the current and upcoming projects, you may be traveling for up to 80% of your time to work onsite at client offices with our current opportunity in Bentonville, Arkansas. For those who want to make the most of the outdoor activities, growing arts scene and fresh cuisine that Bentonville has to offer, we will also provide support for relocation.
What is Quantium looking for in the ideal candidate?
Firstly, you can be anybody, from any walk of life. Before we get to your skills we want you to know that we actively try to foster an environment where all our employees feel safe, welcomed and celebrated. We look for the same in all people we hire.
At Quantium, our team are solving problems that haven’t previously been tackled in these industries. With multiple teams and projects on a massive scale, you’ll be a pragmatist and a true innovator who loves to solve complex issues and doesn’t shy away from ambiguity.
Do have a bullet point list so I can see if I meet the requirements of this opportunity?
We know people are not bullet points but here we go:
- You will likely have at least 7+ years of hands-on experience in a highly technical analytics environment, carrying out data analytics and building predictive models with large, complex datasets; retail industry experience will be highly regarded
- Experience in designing technical solutions and leading a technical project team
- Proficiency in at least one of Spark / Scala, R or Python
- Ideally you will have formal people management experience and have a passion for supporting and seeing your team succeed
- Your keen eye for detail and in depth understanding of the data will see you understand the inner workings of what our team is building and be able to quickly identify the downstream impacts of analytical roadblocks
- Proven track record in building positive, strong stakeholder relationships and the ability to pitch in and secure new project proposals will be highly regarded
- A degree in a quantitative discipline e.g. actuarial studies, mathematics / statistics, engineering, computer science etc
What else can I look forward to?
- Flights, accommodation and a per diem for work travel
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage
- Flexible spending account
- Commuter tax benefit (in Chicago)
- Retirement 401(k) plan with 6% employer contribution
- Annual bonus scheme
- Annual company weekend trip away and plenty of other team events