Lead Database Architect
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Lead Database Architect partners with management to deliver architecture that supports the most efficient and secure database environment meeting the company’s business needs. Operates across organizational and computing “silos” to drive common goals and expose information assets and processes across the enterprise.
This person develops and executes an integrated architectural view of, and strategy for, enterprise-wide database infrastructure technology solutions. This includes, but is not limited to, experience with High Performing and Highly Available Database Topologies, Database Platform and Storage Technologies, System Management and Monitoring Tools, Cloud Services, Big Data, Datacenter Facilities and Business Continuity Designs.
- Develops and maintains an integrated Enterprise Database Architecture view and reference architectures of the current and future state of critical and important database products
- Evaluates current infrastructure to detect critical deficiencies, recommends solutions for improvement and documents all architecture design and analysis work
- Develops and maintains 5 year database infrastructure and technology roadmap based on business objectives, business value, risks, industry trends, innovation, expanding capability, and future state technology
- Drives database technology innovation, concept assessments, industry benchmarking analysis, risk analysis, business case development and approval for new technology and strategies that could benefit the company
- Collaborates with technology vendors and industry peers to identify strategic and innovative uses of database technology to drive operational excellence and profitability of the company
- Provides thought leadership and guidance to both management and application development partners on information systems, their roadmaps, their functionalities, costs, benefits, and implementation requirements
- Promotes and facilitates effective communication and strong working relationships among application development, business technology leadership and our strategic technology partners to better understand business directions, drivers and requirements
- Recommends appropriate database technologies to meet the needs of our customers and business
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in Management Information Systems or Computer Science) or the equivalent work experience
- 10+ years working in an Infrastructure environment
- 5+ years working in a Systems/Architecture environment
- Applying architectural principles, methods, and tools
- Defining solution and architecture roadmaps and product life cycle plans
- Evaluating new database technologies, applications or platforms and developing proof of concepts
- 5+ years of experience developing and/or deploying “large scale” database infrastructure technologies and applications
- 2+ years of experience in strategic planning, business case development and estimating solution alternatives and impacts
- Experience in developing, articulating, and building support around a long-term vision (big picture) and delivering concepts with quantifiable business value in support of that vision
- Expert knowledge of database system performance and availability, database technologies and tools, excellent analytical ability, judgment and problem analysis techniques
- Strong knowledge of key infrastructure technologies such as: Database (Oracle, DB2, MSSQL, MySQL, Teradata, NOSQL, In Memory), Cloud Services (DaaS, IaaS, PaaS, SaaS), Datacenter Facilities, Business Continuity, Networking (LAN, WAN, InfiniBand, 10gbe), Platform and Storage Technologies (UNIX, LINUX, Windows, SAN), Office Productivity Tools, Enterprise Content Management (SharePoint), Big Data (Hadoop)
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP)
- Oracle Certified Master (OCA)
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect
- AWS Certified Big Data – Security
- Oracle Certified Master (OCM)
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!