Lead Database Engineer-DB2 at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Under indirect direction, responsible for all activities related to database system administration. Responsible for the installation, maintenance, configuration and integrity of database infrastructure hardware and software. Implement operating system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system. Recognizes and troubleshoots problems with server hardware and applications software. Implements documented standards and procedures for system support. Requires senior level knowledge of computer operations and familiarity with the deployed database technologies to meet the needs of our customers and business. Works on multiple projects simultaneously.
What You’ll Do :
- Monitors the database system hardware/software for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions and restore availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalate tickets to appropriate internal and external management as needed.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24x7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, and Development).
- Plans and performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Provides consultative services to infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs and/or troubleshooting exercises.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in information technology
- 4+ years of experience Database, IT or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
Advanced Knowledge in:
- SQL development, tuning, and access path analysis
- Logical and physical design of DB2 RI
- DB2 index design
- Creating and administering DB2 stored procedures
- Querying and navigating the DB2 catalog & RTS
- Coding and running DB2 DDL in a high availability environment
- CICS persistent threads
- HP DBATs
Experience with Db2 performance tuning and analytical tools such as:
- DB2 Admin Tool (including Object Compare)
- Omegamon for DB2
- DB2 Query Monitor
- DB2 SQL PA
- Data Studio/Query Workload Tuner
Working knowledge of the following technologies:
- Batch scheduling (OPC)
- REXX / scripting / utility programming
- Ad-hoc query tools (SPUFI, DSNTEP2, DSNTIAUL, etc.) #LI-BG1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.