Lead Database Engineer- Oracle System at Discover (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Responsible for the activities related to data base administration and systems development support. Under indirect supervision analyze and implement the physical model of the database within established standards, ensuring the best performance. Supports multiple services and multiple databases of medium to high complexity (complexity defined by database size, technology used, systems feeds and interfaces) with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity and accessibility of data. Works on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Monitors the database system hardware/software for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions and restore availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalate tickets to appropriate internal and external management as needed.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24x7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, and Development).
- Plans and performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Provides consultative services to infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs and/or troubleshooting exercises.
Qualifications You'll Need
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology
- Minimum 4 years experience in Database, IT or related
Bonus Points If You Have
- 6+ years of experience in IT, Database Administration or related
Deep Technical understanding of:
- Oracle Database Administration in a Linux/Exadata environment
- Oracle GoldenGate, DataGuard, & RAC technologies
- Database backups, Disaster Recovery, & High Availability Design
- Understanding of Oracle Security
- Database patching methodologies
- Automation methodologies and driving out manual processes
- Fast-Start Failover (FSFO) & Global Data Services
• Soft Skillsets:
- Strong communication skills, someone who can work independently as well as in a group setting.
- Participate in efforts create standardization and processes across the team.
- Ability to clearly articulate the problem to Application Developers, Managers, and Stakeholders.
• Experience with Oracle performance tuning and analytical tools such as:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager
- SQL Tuning Advisor
- AWR, ASH and ADDM
- App Dynamics
Nice to have working knowledge with the following technologies:
- MS SQL Server
- Agile environment experience a plus. #LI-BG1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.